Help with the English Language : "Linkin'Up"

Hi !
This is an unuasual request, and it has NOTHING to do with Blender nor Computers, that’s why it’s in this “Off-topic” subsection.

I have to organise an event at my brother’s recording studio. The goal is to invite quite a lot of people from the different backgrounds we meet in the music industry (Musicians, engineers, technicians, producers, distributors, hardware & equipment manufacturers, etc.)

We had to find a cool name for that event, and the name “linkin’up” poped to my mind: in fact our recording studio would be a “link” between all these people that day.

BUT I am no native english speaker, and before I print 500 copies of the invitation and publish on FB etc, I thought I might ask you guys from the UK and the USA (and all other english speakers) what you thought of it.
I am particularly afraid of possible hidden signification it could have…
Is it OK ?

you could call the event simply “The Link”
Linkin’ Up sounds a bit clunky for an event name, try something with only two beats to it

To me, “The Link” sounds too boring. (no offence)

Linkin’ Up does sound a fine when i first read it, but know that KaneBarrett mentions it, it does sound a bit clunky.

Hidden significance… well, depends what kind of people your inviting. If it’s just teachers, engineers, producers etc, then it shouldn’t be a worry. It really does depend on who your inviting, and the mood/atmosphere of the event. If it’s casual, then linkin’ up should do just fine. If it’s formal… maybe not so much.

just my 2c.

Hmmm, what about “the Point”? then when some one asks about it they can say “whats the point?” XD

It won’t be formal, really… rather the young, start-up, music lover type of people.

Good idea Kane, but it’ll be full of french-speaking people…

Still hesitating…

How about “link this”, “link up”, mix up", “linking up”, “mixing up”. I’m not a native speaker, but pretty close, and fully TEFL certified. “Linkin up” seems more like slang. It is certainly grammatically incorrect. “Linkup” is also an option. It’s nice to have correct grammar and everything, but know that native speakers themselves struggle with their own grammar, often more so than non-native speakers.The basic point of any language or means of communication is just to get the message across. I say this because there are differences between American an British English, and there are always exceptions and dubious or irregular words or structures for both of these versions. The most important thing isn’t to be correct in everything, but to get your message across… But still, Do pick a title with correct English :slight_smile:

Frankly in the English language it doesn’t matter if a name is slang or doesn’t make sense grammatically. What matter is how it sounds and whether it is easy on the ear.

And on the subject of the difference between American and English language, the difference is the mix of cultures in America has changed the language.
I’d say America speaks a form of pigeon english, that is a mix of english and other languages.

For your target group and atmosphere, “Linkin’ Up” seems pretty fitting, but then I’m from Derbyshire, UK…

So, y’know if someone drops a lot 'a vow’ls and cons’nents then ah’m not really gonna notice. :wink:

Thanks everyone !
Your reactions tell me that my idea is whether ridiculous nor inappropriate !
@FunkyWyrm: Haha, I’ve spent 4 years in Nottinghamshire, I kind of see what you mean !

There’s a great medieval Derbyshire pub called the Bull i’ th’ thorn (“The bull in the thorn” for those who need a translation ;)). Just thought I’d point it out for those who think I was drunk at the keyboard in my last post.