HELP with Ubuntu.

I am about to punch my damn monitor…how the hell do you install software in ubuntu…a .tar or whatever, not a automatic “add/remove software”…I can extract those damn things all day, but the little blue icon(the one that opens the application)does nothing…help!!!Before I go back to microsucks windblows.

nowherebrain,

What software are you trying to load? - I’m winblows during the day, but by night I’m Ubuntu.

A little this a little that…same here. Trying to run Farsthary’s PhotonMapping build, it’s a .gz

EDIT: See my post below first, as it may have a simpler answer! :smiley:

If you can post what software you’re trying to install I’m sure we can help. I’m on Kubuntu (basically Ubuntu but it looks different - hold the flaming please kids!) so I’m not sure what you mean by “the little blue icon”. If you post a screenshot it might help, too.

Either way I’m sure we’ll get this fixed in no time as long as it’s not straight source code you’ve downloaded.

There’s also a nice article called How to Install Anything in Ubuntu (condensed) worth looking at. It shows the 10 or so ways to install something. Before you exclaim “Why are there so many?!”, most of the time you really only use 1 or 2 and they also have a few that are for other distros (EG you can ignore anything to do with RPM’s).

It’s at:

Hey, just noticed it’s the Photonmapping build you were trying to run. Blender will run just fine direct from the unzipped folder… IF you have the other bits of software it needs (called dependencies) installed. You can have them installed automatically just by installing standard Blender from Synaptic. After that try clkicking the binary to run it.

If that doesn’t work, let us know.

it still does not work… I used the “tar xzvf Blender-PhotonMapping.gz”
This is the name of the file, and it extracts another file basically…so I do this…
“tar xzvf linux2.tar.gz” and I get an error…
/*
tar: linux2.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
*/
I added the in comment out comment…

BTW, Blender is installed, not the 2.46 one that Ubuntu server expects you to want…I use 2.48a(the official BF build)…I did try to run it from the extraction as well and no good…I guess I need someone to hold my hand and tell me step by step how to do it…and what I am doing…just started using linux so…(ubuntu that is).

BTW they say dependencies…they mean includes in a sense…like…

#include"stdio.h"
in other words am I looking for code, like a .c file and/or a .h files?

Also how do I track down my installed software…as in the drive locations?

1. Download blender-2.48a-linux-glibc236-py24-x86_64.tar.bz2, save to your home directory.
  2. Open a terminal or console window
  3. ls -lart

drwxrwxr-x   3 kidb kidb         20 2009-03-19 19:50 meins
-rw-------   1 kidb kidb    6146289 2009-03-19 19:56 .xsession-errors
-rw-rw-r--   1 kidb kidb   13553538 2009-03-19 19:56 blender-2.48a-linux-glibc236-py24-x86_64.tar.bz2

1. tar -xjf blender-2.48a-linux-glibc236-py24-x86_64.tar.bz2
  2. cd blender-2.48a-linux-glibc236-py24-x86_64
  3. ./blender

if "blender starts up":
     fine
else:
post error message from console

1. Hint: if you are running Ubuntu i386 download blender-2.48a-linux-glibc236-py24-i386.tar.bz2.
    If your installed python version is python2.5 use “…py25…” blender.

You need to install Blender from Synaptic first (or track down the dependencies yourself). Dependencies are binaries that are necessary for a program to run, and they can be shared among applications. Oftentimes, they are the analog to .dlls in Windows. Doing sudo apt-get install blender will get Blender and all its necessary dependencies. Afterwords, you can go and get a newer Blender version from blender.org, or getdeb. Personally, I recommend getdeb, because it allows you to easily do a system install of software not availible in the repos.

As for the location of programs, there are a lot of places:
/bin: Vital programs that are needed in recovery mode as well as regular use.
/sbin: Adminstration programs.
/usr/bin: Programs availible to all users. These are general programs, such as Blender.
~/bin: A directory that people commonly put their personal executables in. Of course, it is nice to add it to bash’s path environment variable.