Help with Vertex Grouping

Hi All,

I’m hoping for a bit of help with Vertex parenting.

I’ve got a line made from a plane and I want it to follow an object but I want the base to remain static (image a line connecting nodes). I can’t use a regular parent because this would move the whole object. So I made a new mesh (within the line object) that is just a small square and made it a vertex group. Now I want to connect it to the vertices on one end of my plane so it follows this square as I move it.

After I’ve made the Group I select the vertex points on the plane then shift select the point I want it to follow. Then vertex parent… but when I move the point (parent) the plane doesn’t move.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Attachments

Two points here:

1. You can’t do this easily if everything belongs to one mesh. Make the square a separate object.

2. You should use Hooks to get this effect as follows:

In Object mode, select the square.
Shift-select the long rectangle.
Tab to Edit mode.
Select the two vertices you want to follow the square.
Ctrl-H -> Add to selected object.

thanks CD38,

I tried this and it works… the only problem I have now is the deformation of the line. I’d like to keep the width of the line uniform as it moves. I suppose I may have to use a bone for that.

one more question if you don’t mind… do you know of a way to make a line grow along a path from one end to another? not just in a straight line but more like a family tree that has a few right angles.

I’d like to keep the width of the line uniform as it moves

You can also add a TrackTo constraint to the rectangle, with the square as the target. Move the pivot point to the fixed end of the rectangle.

make a line grow along a path from one end to another? not just in a straight line but more like a family tree that has a few right angles.

Lots of ways to simulate this. I can think of Build modifier, shape keys, or unmasking the segments by making them separate objects and changing their layer visibility. Your approach will depend on the look you desire, the final purpose of the animation, and your patience.

thanks for all the suggestions

I ended up going with a more “noodle” looking line which used a cylinder with an array and a curve modifier. So the array number and length was determined by the curve and then it was stuck to the path with the curve modifier.

I did use hooks attached to the curve though to animate this line. I kept one end of the line stationary and the other stretching to another object.

I found that using the shape keys with a cylinder for example and a curve modifier took a lot of vertices to look smooth. But it did grow along a path properly as long as the corners weren’t too sharp (then it ended up looking jagged).

thanks again!