Help with wakeboarding game!?

Hey. I’m working on this wakeboarding game and I’m just trying to get the basic controls and gameplay down for the rider with no animations or anything yet. Basically all I want to do is get the rider to carve back and forth at the moment. A few things I’m wondering are:

-What should my collision be, and what should I apply it to (Armature, Mesh, or Empty?)
-What can I do so it goes across the water without just rolling over?
-How can I achieve a rope effect (Armature added to a long segmented cube?)

I have the logic bricks down, I think :-? I’m using d Loc for the side to side movement.

Thanks for your help. Also, if you want me to put up a link to the blend for help, that would be great :slight_smile:

Alright here’s a demo of what I have so far. My logic bricks for the tricks were:

Collision (with water property and inverted) and Keyboard >>> AND >>> ipo (play with frames set 5-13)

Why isn’t that working?

If anyone can take a look at this, maybe you can help me out.

http://www.uploading.com/get.php?get=QHSAX6PU
Just type in the given code on the top right of the window

Thanks so much.

No one yet? Wow.

im downloading it now at an incredibly slow 8kb per second. Swith to hyperupload.com its much faster

I downloaded your .blend and took a look at it.

Collision (with water property and inverted) and Keyboard >>> AND >>> ipo (play with frames set 5-13) Why isn’t that working?

What exactly do you want it to do? Looks like if you press the SPACE key to jump, then hit the F key, he does a flip. Isn’t that what you want it to do?

As for the other questions, I’m not sure I can help, I’m still learning. But I’m curious why you chose to use “dLoc” for side to side movement instead of “Force”. With “Force” you can have the object slide and be effected by gravity.

-What can I do so it goes across the water without just rolling over?

Also, you didn’t say what version of Blender and what physics engine you’re using. This problem sounds like you’re trying to use a flat, sliding object with Bullet physics in 2.41. I’m using 2.41 and Sumo physics for my sim, sliding seems to work a bit better. I’ve been having problems with 2.42 and Bullet. BTW, Sumo appears to be broken in 2.42, at least I’ve had problems with it.

I"m still not sure what you want your rider to do, but I played around with it in 2.41 and Sumo physics. I changed the Right / Left carve to + / - 15 Force, increased the jump force, got rid of the Anistropic friction, got rid of the Material friction, and moved your RotY IPO so that it starts at 0. The guy slides back and forth nice with the arrow keys, jumps and spins when you hit SPACE then F.

Is that what you wanted?

If it is, I would probably change the rotation so that it’s done with Force/Torque and lessen the rotational dampening. That would be more realistic. He’d probably land on his face or butt most of the time, but isn’t that more realistic? I dunno. I’m not a wakeboarder, I kitesurf and surf though.

I don’t know how to do the tow rope, probably with armatures, but since it’s effected by physics, maybe not. Might be something you can do with Bullet and 2.42 when Erwin finishes it.

Plus, don’t you get a sort of “slingshot” effect when you ride out to the side? Maybe you can simulate that with less friction in certain areas of the wake.

Interesting concept, lots of work ahead of you though. Good luck.

bigkahuna thank you so much man! Big help. I’ll see what I can do now.