Hi, questions from a new user!

Hi everyone,
Well, this is about the end of my second week of using blender, and I’ve learned a whole lot, but I have a question about lighting…

How can I get light to look like it is pouring in a window?
Like a sunset effect. I’ve been playing around and figured out how to add a halo effect to the light, but thats the farthest I’ve gotten.
Help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks, hehe, almost finished with my first ‘real’ image after I figure this lighting out…=)

-Silver_Kiwi

The simple way to do it is to model a room with an opening with the camera inside and make sure the light is in position to get light through the window with at least ray shadows on. For more realism you may want to add lights by the interior walls to simulate light bouncing off the walls.

Use “Halo”, but only on a spotlight.

%<

It might really help for you to visit a photo store and look for a textbook on studio close-up lighting. Look for one which shows you one of those “natural-looking” scenes that you see in so many catalogs, and then tears the whole setup apart to show you what’s actually in front of the camera lens.

Probably the most difficult discipline for a beginning photographer to grok is “look at the light.” I did not say “look at the scene,” much less “look at the subject.” Listen carefully. I said, “look at the light.” The viewer of a photograph will look at the subject and perhaps (subliminally) appreciate the scene, but never the light itself. The photographer has not this luxury. The photographer must achieve the magic without ever drawing attention to it; nor to herself. She must achieve the totally believable effect that the film has done what the film (or the video) cannot actually do. CG lighting designers have very much the same objectives, and many of the same media-constraints, as photo-studio jockeys do, and their “realistic” results are actually just as artificial. People love to use the term “photo-realistic,” but there is no such thing! The cross-discipline study will be most informative.

creating such a scene is not trivial. since the light comes only from one direction, you’ll probably end up with a completely dark wall where the window is built in. in real life, we have phenomena like diffuse reflection, lightbouncing etc, which is the reason why window-side walls are also lit (indirect lighting). to achieve such an effect you must either fake it by placing light sinside the room or use radiosity. with blender radiosity comes in three flavors:

• as a “modelling” technique, right in the 3D viewports (check out the radio buttons and their documentation)
  • as a rendering feature. this one needs higher subdivided meshes for good results, as it generates color values only for vertices
  • yafray. this gives probably the “best” results, but can be tricky to set up and has long rendering times.

i’d suggest you go through all three methods to see for yourself what works best.

please, see the documentation for the technical part.

best regards

marin

I remember working (as a go-fer) on a memorable photo-shoot with a magazine where we were going to shoot the interior of a historic hotel. I was dumbfounded to learn that the shoot would begin at 1:00 in the morning on a new-moon night! And it would be completed before dawn!

When you look at the photo, it’s the most beautiful “morning light” you could imagine. Sunlight streaming through the windows; a glint of color on bannisters and dooknobs. And all of it totally artificial.

If you actually went to that hotel during the daytime, on a nice warm sunny day, you’d only-then observe that at no time during the morning or evening is the light in that room actually what you might have expected it to be; nor would it be what you need in a photograph. (Mind you, the light that I saw with my eyes during the shoot, didn’t look like it did in the film picture!) You couldn’t use the natural light, and if you shot during the day it would not only interfere but would also be constantly changing. And that was my eyes-widening introduction to just how artificial “natural” pictures actually are.

When you shoot that sunlight streaming through the window picture and make it look (I love the word, it’s like ‘Military Intelligence’…) “photo realistic,” a really good effective lighting setup is going to amaze you with its complexity. And yet, if you did your job right, all of that complexity is invisible.

Thanks for the replys all.
I think my question has now turned to something like this…

Every time I get my lamp and put on the spotlight throught the window the light seems to go strait through the walls.
Thats really my big problem. Any way to fix that?
Also, were is a good tutorial for lighting effects?
Preferably one that is recent, lol, Its hard for me to search for some of those buttons some times!

-Kiwi

you have to enable shadows on the spotlight