Hidden vertices in sculpt mode

Soo… when I’m sculpting, I like to mask my mesh by hiding unwanted vertices in edit mode. In that way I can see whole object in sculpt mode, but brush is only affecting part that I want. At least it worked that way until 2.8… Today I tried my method in Blender 2.8 and looks like when I hide some vertices in edit mode, they’re also hidden in sculpt mode. This is a problem, because I can’t see rest of the model, topology and don’t know what exactly I’m doing. So my question is - is there a way in 2.8 to hide vertices in edit mode, but still have them visible in sculpt mode?

Have you considered using the mask brush to mask out the parts which you don’t wand to be affected by sculpt brushes?

Yes, but it’s not as fast and precise as masking in edit mode. I’ve always had a few vertex groups with eyes, upper/lower lips, nose, cheeks, chin etc. so I could select and mask desired zones quickly. It was especially useful for making shape keys. It’s simply much faster to have predefined groups instead of painting mask every single time over and over again.

I see, that’s a valid point and a pretty neat workflow, although I’m not sure if it was supposed to work that way and was “fixed” for 2.8. Perhaps a proposal or discussion at right-click select or devtalk forum to bring it back, or even improve it directly within the sculpting environment (affect selected vertex groups only), would give you a solution for a future release.