Hiding with the H key is back

No, that is not the reason. Blender is using a lot Alt key.
Alt + selection click is used in object mode to call select menu when objects are overlapping.
It is also used in edit mode to select a loop.
Alt is used to reset all tranform settings.
I think that most of linux users working with Blender have already remapped their windows manager shortcuts to system key.

I think that ctrl click is just what comes to your mind when you are used to blender’s outliner.
It works like that since 2.5x. They probably just wanted to have it coherent with outliner and did not search what was more standard. (Is it really in other 3d apps ?)

It was impossible during same period as H hiding.
We cannot say it was restored.
I think developers hope that users will be satisfied by Shift H.
Local view was working independently from layers. Now, shift H can neglect collections.

Local view was focusing on selection and then restoring previous view.
Maybe it could become an option of shift H.
Do you miss it or are Frame Selected/Frame All operators sufficient ?

Edit :

Ah ? OK !

Right and the select click in Blender is… Well, right click

Or left. It depends of your user preferences.

Hide selected/Hide all you mean?

I am not using 2.8 for production but would really mis local view. I often hide objects for rendering (be it in the viewport or render f12) and use local view when working on an object. It’s a very fast way to get all the clutter in the viewport out of the way and less “destructive” for lack of a better word then hiding.

OK, but if you change it. It’s totally different story. With changing this one setting you entitled yourself to get in this kind of trouble on a Linux machine, if you’re using one. And we can’t talk about defaults anymore.

Edit: We’re getting much too off topic anyway.

No, I mean Numpad . and Home to focus on selected object and then to zoom out to frame all revealed objects.

Shift+H is no substitute for absent local view. 3dsmax, maya have ISOLATE SELECTION (shift+I) that are similar to 2.79 LocalView. In 2.8 shift+H=object.hide_view_set(unselected=True) which only hides unselected. bpy.ops.view3d.localview() does not exist. This is a clear regression

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking of Frame in terms of animation :flushed:

Wait a minute, Local view has been removed?

I’ve noticed quite some change within Blender’s API structure, maybe localview now reside somewhere else?

The devs probably just haven’t got time to add the functionality back in. It’s an useful feature if not an necessary one.

+1
Yes ISOLATE SELECTION is very needed, please make it go back. Thx.

I think Local View has been replaced by Isolate Selection basically, with SHIFT+H, it is pretty much the same thing right ?

Nope there is difference.
Isolate view have separate visibility list.

Example:
You have 30 objects in scene. On 10 you are working now, so rest is hidden.
You need to only edit two of them quickly. So You isolate view cause rest unhidden objects would distub your work, you make that edit and want go back to only 10 visible items.

Yea, wisely using collections visibility could resolve that, but isolate selection would be easier.

2 Likes

Ok I see, maybe SHIFT+H could do the job if when you press it again, the scene visibility goes back like it was before ? :confused:

I’m pretty sure in a design task somewhere Brecht said they were trying to figure out how to bring “local” mode (isolate selection) back. 2.8 is still WIP! I don’t get why everyone panics when a feature is added and another hasn’t been coded yet!

4 Likes

this looks cool! https://twitter.com/PabloVazquez_/status/1009954372199968768
https://twitter.com/i/status/1009954372199968768… i don’t like the way it shifts stuff but that’s small potatoes

1 Like

Yes can be handy, maybe it could be available as an addon. For those who just want to use the outliner, no need to bring all these buttons in the header ?

I don’t understand the need of a third icon.

8_Collection_Visibility_001

:thinking:

1 Like

As Pablo explained in his video, the eye icon hide an object, but if the object is linked in another scene, you can still turn it on or off, the grid icon hide an object, and if you link it in another scene, you cannot unhide it in this scene. I think it is really useful in production, for example if the rigger have some objects just for tests or something else, it allows him to not show these in the animation scene.

As I understood it, the new option was to hide it “locally” so that when hidden and linked the object will still be visible and therefore not unnoticed. Like a “Blender instance override” for Viewport visibility. No?

He says in the video that the eye icon hides the object “for working”, and the grid icon hides the object for good, can be used for a helper for example, and that it comes with this change in the other scene.

So I don’t really know, maybe you are right, it has to be tested :slight_smile: