High level Animation question

Hi,
I love this program, but I’m just getting into animation of a complex scene. Looked for a tutorial but found nothing so far on how to handle all the resources.

I have a blend file for each model, but how do I get them all together in one place to render the animation? Each different model can have ten or twenty objects that need to keep their parent relationships.

It makes no sense to me to Append one model into another model since that can break links to texture images and it takes forever to append each object in one file to another file.

Only thing I see now is a laborous process of Appending each and every object ( 50 ?) to one blend file then trying to handle everything in one blend file. Which is scarry with so much stuff concentrated in one place.

What is the theory of how this should be done?
Or point me to a tut that talks about animating a complex scene.
Thanks, John

When appending… if you go into the objects dir… and click “a” (to select all) and append, it will append EVERYTHING. (including the relationships between objects)

What I do is delete lights/camera and all the extra junk, save the file and append everything into my scene.

Only thing I see now is a laborous process of Appending each and every object ( 50 ?) to one blend file then trying to handle everything in one blend file. Which is scarry with so much stuff concentrated in one place.

I organize everything into layers… and turn on the things I need when I need them. Blender gives you 20 layers. Also with 2.42 you can now set different bones in different Armature layers, and turn off and on the bones you need.

Lights
Scene Characters will interact with.
Rest of the Scene.
Character 01
Character 02
etc.

You can also put your characters in different layers before appending, so when you do append it appends into the layers designated.

Thanks Calvin, I’ll try that. I also found this thread
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71596&highlight=scene
on linking objects to scenes.

Appreciate the help.
John

You may also want to experiment with the linked groups feature in 2.42

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69409

Mike