High Poly Cartoon Head

Hey everyone! This is my second ever high polly model. Tell me what you think. I didn’t put too much time into it so it really isn’t anything to amazing.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk248/Dawisch/head_render.jpg

he looks very annoyed good charecter keep it up :slight_smile:

Why high poly?

uh… because I can? :eyebrowlift2:

I wasnt trying to be sarcastic I was just wondering with the low level of detail why High poly.

oh… because it is smoother? Also it is a work in progress and I will probably put more detail into it.

Thats what subserf modifier is for

I used subsurf then applyed it. The reason for this is because now I have more vertex to work with for molding and such.

…you applied subsurf? Why? If you want to mold or I think you mean sculpt, a more sensible choice would be to use multi-res, do not apply it, sculpt your desired shape, moving up in levels if you need to and then retopo, or create a low poly shell around it, using the retopo tool, since it would then be better for posing or animation. Also I suggest this tutorial http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Creating_Pixar-looking_eyes_in_Blender for eyes better than a simple texture on a uv sphere.Good luck!

Yeah, hopefully you haven’t permanently applied your subsurface modifier yet. Use the multiresolution editing function (F9–>“Add Multires”) instead.You’ll probably also want to (1) fix the nose, (2) fix the forehead, and (3) fix the chin. The chin is the most urgent. It’s extremely disturbing to imagine what the mandible (jaw bone) would have to look like to make that chin shape.

Also, you don’t have to make it super-high-poly to make it smooth. Click the “Set Smooth” button and the faces will appear smooth when rendered (because Blender plays a cool trick with the normals).

Also, turn down (or turn off) the specular highlights of the skin material. The face looks uncomfortably clammy. It’s almost as disturbing as the chin.

Furthermore, it almost looks like you’re rendering using subsurface-scattering, or SSS (it may just be an artifact of the lamp’s fall-off, though). Using SSS will just make the face look like raw chicken unless you choose the “Skin 1” or “Skin 2” option in the SSS dialog (and adjust it in accordance with the base skin reflectivity color).

Also on the subject of rendering, use more lamps or add ambient occlusion (through the “World Buttons”–“Amb Occ” dialog) to increase visibility.

Great start, though. Nice Neanderthal-style brow-bone (I guess that’s the cartoon-ish part). Keep up the good work. . .

Nice Work :slight_smile:
Looks like a good base to develop something from.
What kind of cartoon look are you going for?(American/Japanese/Pixar/etc.etc.) you might look up some examples of those and compare them to what you’re currently working on to see the stylistic differences. It doesn’t need to be anatomically correct to look good.
However you might want to define the form a bit more(Give a clear division between the neck and the head, think hard lines, may want to adjust the position of the ear etc). Have you tried the multi-res function in blender? it’s a quick way of going between a hi-res and low-res model(it can help to switch to a lower res when making large changes to a sculpt). Don’t really see the problem with working at a higher resolution till you’re more comfortable with sculpting.

Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

I’m going for sort of a Dreamworks SKG look. I have already apllied the subsurf so it is too late for hi/low res editing. Thanks for the suggestions though! I will look up some Dreamworks characters and base it of that.

Alright, but remember It never hurts to start over if you’re not getting quite the results you want while you’re learning.
good luck :smiley: