high resolution Screenshot for books

I’m working on a blender books and i need to take high resolution screenshot for print and i don’t know the process for this, someone could give me an idea of the process…

and sorry for posting here if is not the correct place feel free to move it.

OSX = Cmd+Shift+3 for the screen / Cmd+Shift+4 for se;lected area

Win = PrintScreen keyboard button and paste into image editor of your choise

or some screenshot software

Resolution depends on your desktop resolution

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Other Software”

If you’re talking about printed books then you’ll find that printing screenshots 1:1 will look terrible. You will need around 300 dpi pix for decent print reproduction. I suggest you take the screenshots using as much screen real estate as possible, then, in PS or Gimp, quadruple their resolution. For example. my monitors are 96 dpi, so I would edit the shots to 384 dpi. This will also reduce the dimensions of the pix to something reasonable for a printed page. Finally, I have found that the .tif (or .tiff) image format works well for offset printing.

@sabba
thanks for your reply i keep this in mind

Sorry Sabba, that is incorrect information you provided.

For the best quality result, open Blender on a 2560px resolution screen, and increase the ppi resolution in the system tab in the preferences to about 130. Then increase the width and height of the panels in the interface. Toggle to full screen mode (Alt F11), and grab a screen shot.

The increased ppi resolution in Blender’s preferences makes for very readable and sharp looking interface elements when printed!

On my screen I get a screengrab at 2560*1440.

Suppose you require a 15cm wide screenshot. Calculate the required print resolution like so:

(15cm/2.54) = 5.9inch.

At 300PPI (pixels per inch) you will require
5.9*300 = 1770px width

In Photoline I use layout–>scale document for a quick conversion:

Which means you can scale down (NOT SCALE UP) and with the increased interface ppi you get truly sharp looking screenshots for print. No need to upscale at all.

With a 25601440 resolution screen you can go up to a true 300DPI print resolution of 21.67cm12.19cm (8.53inch * 4.80inch), which should be more than enough for most screenshots in a typically sized book. You will probably need to downscale full screen shots.

So, with a high resolution screen like mine you must DOWNSCALE, not upscale at all.

What’s more, unless you use a physical ruler to measure the actual dimensions of your screen and relate that to the actual pixel resolution, you CANNOT be sure about the screens PPI. (Btw, screens are not measured in DPI, but in PPI: DPI is use for print). My screen’s actual width is 59.6cm/2.54= 23.4645 inch.
Quick online calculation: http://pixeldensitycalculator.com/?h=2560&v=1440&d=23.4645

My screen pixel density is 125.18ppi. According to Sabba’s formula, I should now triple that to at least 375ppi. Which results in an insane 7680px width, and is way too much for print. It wastes resources, and may actually result in lower print quality, since you are relying on the print hardware and software to do the downscaling for you. This might result in less sharp looking images on paper.

Conclusion: work according to what you really require in terms of pixels per inch on paper, and relate that to the required printed dimensions. DO NOT RELY on the supposed screens PPI resolution at all.

Finally, convert to cmyk & save in a lossless format, like tiff. Avoid jpg. Then import into your favourite DTP application.

PS to create screenshot of parts of the interface, I would increase blender PPI setting temporarily to the max 144, and then grab a screenshot. Then crop to desired size, and if required, upscale. And upscale to the required resolution again. Then apply some sharpening, and you will get absolutely brilliant looking printed versions.
Example:

Like so (presuming we require a 12cm wide screenshot of the material panel) :