HighRes Fluid Simulation! (Anim) Now with tutorial included!

Hey! i dont’ know if it’s just my terrible observant skills or what, but i havn’t really seen any high resolution fluid simulations lately. Someone out there must have a supercomputer which they could use to make a really good one.

Tutorial: http://www.penguinscore.com/fluidsimtut.htm

But anyway, here’s mine. http://www.penguinscore.com/documents/Bluegloop.avi

Size: 1.12 MB
Time: 12 seconds
Render Time: 6 hours, rendered with Blender Internal

A screenshot: (frame 81)
http://www.penguinscore.com/images/image002_000.jpg

nice…
how do you make such a movie… i don’t have a clue :frowning:

Wow! I agree, that is one of the first fluid sims I’ve seen longer that 3 seconds :stuck_out_tongue: .
Would you mind posting the fluid settings, because all of my attempts have resulted in a goo-like substance, or even worse, all the fluid just dissapears. :o
Thanks in advance!

Blend in the face of danger.

You’ll have to fix the settings for the final-res and size for the fluid to get a better simulation.

BTW, Nice fluid :smiley:

Hey guys, i might not be able to get it done until tommorow, but i’m writing a tut on how i made this. it’s coming soon! :smiley:

Edit/ Hey i got the tutorial done! You can see it in my first post. I’m currently making another fluid sim, probably at a higher res with more intesting obstacles, experimenting with inflow/outflow! :o

Hurray! Thank you in advance :stuck_out_tongue:

Lookin’ forward to this.

Quite important to know here is not too put your light too close to the domain.
One blob comes dangerously close to your light source and for a moment blocks everything else from having light.
And i think you could crank up the resolution a bit.
How long did it take you to bake at what hardware settings?
I’m wondering if there comes a time when we can not only distribute rendering into renderfarms but also the baking.
P

i do not want to be understood as critical but all examples i saw sofar, also my own attempts look like artificial fluid simulations. it is less the texture but more the way how the fluid geometry looks and is animted.

unfortunately i did not take a look at mayas fluid sim so i cannot comapre it.

is that a problem of the lower resolution or of the code? i am just curios how to get real looking fluids done.

I’ve taken a look at Maya’s fluid sims and they are a lot better.
The main reason is that it has tons more settings for the dynamics and interaction of the fluid. It also has some slightly better code I think because most of the sims look very real. But then we shouldn’t compare Blender to Maya because this is the first attempt Blender has had at a fluid simulator and I’m sure it will get a lot better. I think what Blender has now is still very impressive for a free 6mb download.

I’m wondering if there comes a time when we can not only distribute rendering into renderfarms but also the baking.
P

How about this? One person sets up a really high res scene, except saves it in multiple files, each one set to only bake/render a certain amount of frames. Then all of the frames can be stitched together in a windows media program. Not really sure if this would work, just throwin’ it out there. :smiley:

No, this couldn’t work because to bake frame 60 for example you need to know where the fluid was in frame 59, etc. Baking the fluid dynamics is very linear, so it can’t be split up among lots of computers (except perhaps in a beowolf cluster?)

Sorry :wink:

no shit?

I’ve followed the tutorial, but not sure how to continue after baking the settings. How do I view the fluid simulation once the settings are baked?

My “End Time” in the bake settings was too short. Thanks. Nice and concise tutorial.

em…I understood everything that was said in the tutorial, but how do i make a movie of this? How do I animated it? hmmm, I think i’ll go search for some tutorials on that :o

about animation:

• to small domain and res, we can see giant drops :stuck_out_tongue: (res= +/- 250 for this scene, domain shouldn’t be smaller than 0,5 m)
  • in this sized domain fluid will be extremly slow (will look like big jelly), so good idea is make gravity stronger (in my own simulations water in this-sized domain looks nice with gravity at 180-200, sometimes can be more… 8) ).
  • this settings will take from hdd 10 GB but final effect will be much better and more realistic

About Maya:
I think blender fluid is good enough. We can make simple simulation without playing with many options, which many of us don’t understand. It’s obvious, that nobody (at least for some time :smiley: ) will not going to make “The Day After Tommorow 2” in Blender.

PS. Sorry for all my mistakes

Okay, here’s how you render a movie of this. (Not included in tutorial.)

First, add lights. do a test render by hitting F12. If everything is how you want it, great. Go to the render buttons and go down at the bottom right. There should be a pulldown menu that lets you select the output file. Select Avi Codec and select a codec. (You will need to have DivX or Quicktime downloaded.) Okay, now hit the “ANIM” button and your animation will start rendering. After it’s done, (which could take quite a while :o ), look in the output window to see the name of this file (should be something like 1002_0001. I don’t really know where blender puts the .avi, but i usally just search on my computer for it, then move it to desktop. Happy rendering!

Emfrobia

emfrobia:
You have to give a path where you want to store your avi or png sequences.
It’s better to alwyas create a new path for every anim.
It’s a good habit not to use avi at all, unless it’s for a test render.
P