HiPcc compiler is not found

Now that Blender has ROCm/HiP support, I am trying to get Blender to use my RX 6600XT. I got the GPU selectable. However, now when I try to render, I get a message saying “HiP hipcc compiler not found. Install HiP toolkit in default location.” How can this be done on Arch Linux?

Maybe look here Arch Wiki: HIP ?

It turns out that, Blender from Arch’s repositories can’t use my GPU. But, the one from blender.org can. It’s still a problem but, there is a workaround.

Same thing happens to me, it’s pretty weird. Fortunately you discovered where the problem was, thank you.
I hope they fix it in future updates.

I am using Manjaro (Arch-based). I bought an RDNA2 card and tried to use HIP in Blender. Arch wiki said install rocm-hip-runtime and hip-runtime-amd, but there was no such thing. Only hip-runtime-nvidia existed. Anyway, the followings have been installed opencl-amd, mhwd-amdgpu, vulkan-radeon, radeontool, radeoptop.

When I first tried to Blender HIP, I got “HiP hipcc compiler not found. Install HiP toolkit in default location.”. I rebooted the PC and tried again. Then I got “Failed to execute compilation command, see console for details.” The console output was like below.

I read OP’s comment and downloaded Blender from the official website. That one did not have the problem. What is the problem here? The error message seems that some sort of compiler is not found, but the Blender I have downloaded does not seem to include compilers inside of it, so why can’t the repository Blender find the compiler but the homepage version can? Is the repository version misconfigured to try to find the compiler in a wrong place?

Can’t exec “/opt/rocm-5.4.1/llvm/bin/clang”: No such file or directory at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 179.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_VERSION in pattern match (m//) at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 180.
Can’t exec “/opt/rocm-5.4.1/llvm/bin/clang”: No such file or directory at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 184.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_TARGET in scalar chomp at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 185.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_VERSION in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 188.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_INCLUDE_PATH in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 209.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_INCLUDE_PATH in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 210.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_VERSION in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 732.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_TARGET in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 732.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_VERSION in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 736.
sh: line 1: /opt/rocm-5.4.1/llvm/bin/clang: No such file or directory
Compiling HIP kernel …
hipcc -Wno-parentheses-equality -Wno-unused-value --hipcc-func-supp -O3 -ffast-math --amdgpu-target=gfx1032 -I /usr/share/blender/3.4/scripts/addons/cycles/source --genco /usr/share/blender/3.4/scripts/addons/cycles/source/kernel/device/hip/kernel.cpp -o “/home/cat/.cache/cycles/kernels/cycles_kernel_gfx1032_96BC3F7A1C6A54BB33C0DAD6ED5138A8”
Can’t exec “/opt/rocm-5.4.1/llvm/bin/clang”: No such file or directory at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 179.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_VERSION in pattern match (m//) at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 180.
Can’t exec “/opt/rocm-5.4.1/llvm/bin/clang”: No such file or directory at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 184.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_TARGET in scalar chomp at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 185.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_VERSION in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 188.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_INCLUDE_PATH in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 209.
Use of uninitialized value $HIP_CLANG_INCLUDE_PATH in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/rocm-5.4.1/bin//hipcc.pl line 210.
Warning: The --hipcc-func-supp option has been deprecated and will be removed in the future.
Warning: The --amdgpu-target option has been deprecated and will be removed in the future. Use --offload-arch instead.
sh: line 1: /opt/rocm-5.4.1/llvm/bin/clang: No such file or directory

ArchLinux simple use a differetn compilation… so ask them…

So then use it ?!

Yeah, I am, but it would be workaround. Using manually-downloaded version means no automatic updates and no application menu entry.

For a webbrowser this might be a better way to go… for something like blender… with new features… sometime changing a bit… etc… you may want to have older version usable while testing new ones…
… also it doesn’t change as much as a web browser…

I have this problem not with Blender but with Bforartists which is a fork. I know that this is not a Bforartists forum, but it is interesting that the same problem exists, and I was wondering if there’s a way to systempath HIP that I have in my system and Blender use with Bforartists.