HMS Pegasus - full ship building in progress

I know I have the obsession to do this, I just dont have the good computer… My last high-detail project caused over 40 “blue screens of death”, and I couldn’t even render it. And mine was only 1.5 mil, so good on you! I hope this project goes well, it’s really cool.

1 Like

Those last couple of shots are killer. This is going to be great.

madness…

thx guys! nearing the rigging phase… but first there’s a winged horse figurehead to be made. :eek:

By the gods, that’s an insane level of detail, I can only admire your patience and concentration!

figurehead done! sort of. wings are subject to change once I find out they get in the way of all the ropes at the bow. well, that was fun, sculpting the thing. O.o…

4 Likes

Your attention to detail is inspiring. I’m particularly impressed that you’re using what appears to be correct joinery in the woodwork.

thank you, mate! yeah, almost everything is strictly by the book (literally) and historically accurate…

:eek: Woah! Amazing! Good job!

Great work, really enjoying the updates on this project.

Wow you’re good! That is one incredible model and it is your attention to detail that makes it.

thank you all! much appreciated. I couldn’t resist one more for the heck of it… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Truly a great job. This is very well done.

here are some free characters 3D but high res
could use group instancing

nice work

happy cl

1 Like

hello people! some new renders… :slight_smile:

! ! ! !

EDIT:
what’s with the exclamations marks around attachment code and why can’t I add space between images without them and why are they showing in post and how do I go around that and why doesn’t the image show without them and why why why?? :smiley:

6 Likes

I just put a line break between images in the editor. That works. As for the rest? It’s a mystery.

Anyway, great work again. It is nice to see something that looks like a real ship, and in such accurate detail. If I was being picky:

1/ Why are the two doors in the first shot textured as being made out of three layers? Laminated timber didn’t exist in that period, or at least not for marine joinery. They would have been made out of solid timber.

2/ The rope in the second shot could do with a bit more realism, but I assume that’s temporary anyway.

3/ Also in the second shot: the deadeyes would have had more of a radius at the top of the holes for the rope. Wiki Commons has some good examples:

4/ In the fourth shot, was the guardrail above the netting actually iron on the real ship? I would have assumed it would be rope too, but if you have documentation showing it was iron I’m happy to be corrected.

hey mate, thx for pitching in. C&C is always welcomed.

1. the doors are made of three layers. it’s how a scale model is made according to instructions. also, it’s something I’ll have to re-do for a final product.

2. the ropes scare me as hell. and give enormous headache to boot. while previewing texture in viewport everything is fine with the texture, no weird scaling or stretching. but as soon as I introduce subdivision modifier with microdisplacement everything goes to hell and I get texture stretching. my guess is it’s because I’ve unwrapped the rope before adding subdivision modifier and I can’t bring myself to manually modify UVs again. another to-do for later…grrrr!!!

3. the deadeyes do have radiused holes but for some reason it’s not prominent enough in that shot. how 'bout this one…? :wink:

1. there was an iron rod at that place, at least according to my source and on this ship. I guess they needed firm grip while using a seat of ease, haha!

thx for comments. you do know your stuff…

1 Like

Re the doors: yes I can see that construction making sense for a small scale model. Cutting mortises and tenons into solid timber at small scale would be a nightmare, whereas if the framing was built up from three layers it would be much easier to do the joinery. If the timber was fine-grained, like box or something, the laminations wouldn’t be visible at model scale and it would look like the real thing. :+1:

Re the ropes: I’m sure they are a bloody nightmare. The new deadeye pic looks more convincing. And interesting about the iron rail. I suppose it was insurance in case an officer had to use the throne up there. They wouldn’t have worried about it for the ordinary sailors. :wink:

1 Like

Got curious about the iron rod thing. I have a suspicion your source may have mistaken a tarred rope for an iron rod. They used to tar ropes all over the place back in those days. Best contemporary example we have is probably HMS Victory. In the same location, Victory has tarred rope holding up the netting. If you look closely you can just see the lay of the three strands, and it has the slight catenary curve that’s characteristic of a fairly taut rope.

that rail is called Berthing Rail and was indeed made of cast iron. About catenary curve, even iron rods get one if they’re long enough and under strain when doing No.2 :smiley:

take a look at the photo of HMS Pandora model:

you can see (and on the Victory as well) how the rail attaches to eyebolts in the wooden rail and goes through the loop at the top of the center stanchion… :wink:

2 Likes