HMS Pegasus - full ship building in progress

I have, and I’m using them both. but there is only so much I can do with those, considering how many unique objects there are on the ship. bummer, but it is what it is… thank you!!

That’s a great modelling and rendering. All the details in the model amaze me. Good Job.

PS how come unreal engine can handle this, dont you get much more verts because everything needs to be triangulated. That part is already a monster project, transferring it to unreal.

PS for creating those splashes, i called it live paint but i meant Dynamic Paint.

Here’s one example tutorial of that.

Perhaps you can combine this tutorial and add splashes coming up from the water using this method

PS here’s also a cool tutorial if you want to break that ship. This guy has tons of nice video’s and tutorials

1 Like

yep, I saw those. the water is close, but not quite there yet.

the reason behind UE4 is two-fold. first, I wanted to create a first person walking demo or something, with movable doors, hatches etc. the scene is currently lit only by dynamic lighting which kills my framerate. static lighting should do the trick but I’m actively avoiding baking several thousand lightmaps. for outside renders is quite nice, though…

second, as said before, my GTX 770 needs a replacement. I can’t render with Cycles on GPU anymore, on CPU it takes anywhere between 7-12 minutes for 2666x2000 @64 samples w/ denoising. since I’m doing a lot of renders of every build step render times add up pretty quickly…

as for total triangulated polycount… I’m affraid to look…

So Unreal doesnt do GPU right? Still wonder how it handles this massive model. I mean everything needs to be triangulated, so i must be massive like insane massive

no, my GPU can’t handle rendering in cycles anymore. other than low FPS (around 20-25) UE4 behaves just fine… :wink:

2 Likes

mast tops!

5 Likes

:smile::smile::smile:

7 Likes

You know it’s strange, I thought the model was a little bigger than it appears in your room, from the grain patterns, etc. Stunning work here, keep going, I am sure your patience will allow this!

Cheers, Clock. :beers:

movie magic! :joy:

topmast shrouds done…

6 Likes

a view down from the main top mast. I would so be up there all the time…

6 Likes

I love coming back to this thread. Great work.

1 Like

Beautiful! I love ship.

some more ocean tests. I had to step away from rigging for a spell…

12 Likes

nice work

how did you do the foam in back of ship
is it manually done ?

happy cl

standing rigging done!! that was the easy part, now onto the fun stuff…

8 Likes

spritsail yard is in place… :wink:

6 Likes

This is a great piece of work. Very detailed

1 Like