Ho can I mirror an object in Blender 2.5

I am trying to Mirror an object in Blender 2.5; I couldn’t find any 2.5 tutorials so I used a 2.4++ tutorial, and I cannot get it to work.

I start with reshaping a mesh square then I press shift R, I box select and delete the Verticies for half the box. After that I have tried the add modifier to add a mirror; it highlights the box in white but that’s as far as I can get it.

Please any help would be appreciated

Incase anyone was wondering; yes I am a complete noob to anything CG

well try the mirror modifier

then change the Axis on which you want to work

and not certain in objecdt mode how it is working

but in edit mode you can move each part along axis but it form one object
but you can seperate theses i guess

you can also do ctrl-M and look in t panel at bottom
you find there the mirror panel and you can select axis ect…

hope it helps

salutations

I attempted Control Shift M and Control M neither show it as in the video were the object is simply mirrored; apart from that if anyone has suggestions please understand I don’t know what I am doing in a 3d application although I want to learn I don’t understand how to change the axis in which I work or I don’t understand it.

I am just trying to break into this as a hobbyist I appreciate everyone help.

My Thanks,

Deohring

I attempted Control Shift M and Control M neither show it as in the video were the object is simply mirrored; apart from that if anyone has suggestions please understand I don’t know what I am doing in a 3d application although I want to learn I don’t understand how to change the axis in which I work or I don’t understand it.

I am just trying to break into this as a hobbyist I appreciate everyone’s help.

My Thanks,

Deohring

The Mirror modifier works just fine here. Is your 2.50 the official alpha 0 release?

It is possible the version you are using is incomplete, or the modifier has not been fully incorporated yet.

I tested a recent svn build.

I have tried it on the alpha 0 beta version and I have attempted it on SVN 25691.

I am just wondering are the steps I am taking correct.

Take a cube stretch it with scale

Switch to edit mode

Ctrl R to divide the cube

Boarder select (select half the cube)

Delete (Delete Vertices) for some reason this doesn’t work the same in version 25691
So I had to use Ctrl R twice (I don’t know if this is correct but it’s what I did)

Switch to Obj mode

Select the Cube and Control M

This only highlights the cube in white; is there something else I should be doing (in the tutorial I have it simply made a duplicate of the cube.

I turns out that it at step 3 to divide the cube I forgot to hold alt and then left click; then at step 5 I needed to make sure that I didn’t have all the divided half of the cube selected I just needed to select one edge. And last but not least Ctrl M or Ctrl Shift M does not work I needed to use space bar to find add modifier mirror.

My Thanks, to Organic and RickyBlender; it was helpful and encouraging to keep trying, knowing that others could do this and it was something on my end.

I am just wondering are the steps I am taking correct.

1. Take a cube stretch it with scale

2. Switch to edit mode

3. Ctrl R to divide the cube

4. Boarder select (select half the cube)

5. Delete (Delete Vertices) for some reason this doesn’t work the same in version 25691
    So I had to use Ctrl R twice (I don’t know if this is correct but it’s what I did)

6. Switch to Obj mode

7. Select the Cube and Control M

This only highlights the cube in white; is there something else I should be doing (in the tutorial I have it simply made a duplicate of the cube.

Thanks again;

Deohring

Its been a hot minute since i have undertaken modeling but I cannot seem to mirror my foot object for a base player I am making on the Global world X axis. It just wants to keep mirroring off the objects x axis. I understand that my object is being considered the global but how do i change that?

More specifications- the base player model is made in a front ortho-view and I just need to mirror the foot in that view

have another question about mirror modifier…
I have seen a video on youtube of someone editing objects with mirroring on. When i try to use the mirror mid. in edit mode 2.53beta claims it only works in object mode…

Was this different in 2.4x?

[edit: tried with 2.49b… it was possible there… hope it will be readded in later beta versions]

Only when you try to apply modifiers is it limited to object mode. When you activate the modifier you can edit your objects and so on and the changes will be reflected as expected, but try to hit the apply button (after you are sure you’re done editing) it can only be applied in object mode.

In fact, turn on the modifier in edit mode (there will have to be a slight offset of the geometry from object center to get a mirror), do some editing however you want. In object mode the original object and the mirrored one will be one object. Once you’re done, you can hit apply in object mode, since this is the only place where modifiers can be applied. Now you have one object, but each piece of geometry is editable on its own in edit mode. Make sense? The theme here is that all modifiers are to be applied in object mode, but many can be manipulated in edit mode as well as object mode.

It is working in 2.53, so I think you’re having a workflow issue. Need any more help, just ask.

got it now… blenders termilogy is really a bit confusing for beginners (only used Lightwave some time ago)

Thanks!