Hogwarts

Update:

Original post:

For any Harry Potter fans out there. Little passion project of mine.
I know has been done many times before, but I wanted to try out my own castle layout.

I want to put a few nice PBR materials on everything (walls and roofs…) and hope it will look pretty in Eevee. We’ll see.
Also please excuse the screen space Eevee AO, I plan to bake AO with cycles if everything goes well.

10 Likes

Incredible!

1 Like

Very cool project. Are there plans for the castle or did you recreate it from film footage?

Most is actually based on models ripped directly from the 6th PC game. I went in and remodeled everything with more detail, cleaner and much easier to texture. Only the boat dock is taken from the 7th game.

The back of the castle and the surrounding landscape is custom because the game version felt quite unnatural to me.

I’ll be happy to share the blend file if you wanted to take a look.

Your offer to share the file is very kind, but I don’t think I would have time to really study it. I was mostly curious about your source materials. Both my kids were big Harry Potter fans when they were young. The books bring back lots of good memories of reading to them when they were little.

1 Like

Hey @anon8130922 is it possible to get the blend file from you? I’m eager to make a model out of it for my daughter to play with =)
Outstanding work by the way! This model has so much detail.

1 Like

Update:

I think I might finish this project in about 300 years…

Right now I’m trying to find the right color palette… These are my references - I think Mudrunner has really amazing colors, and might suit the landscape…

I’ll experiment and see what looks best.

1 Like

Hi, good work, how did you get the floor plans and the drawings of the land?

1 Like

The castle layout is based on the one found in the 6th Harry Potter game, which is available for download from the open Hogwarts project on GitHub.

The landscape is and will be completely custom. Once you do some research you’ll find the landscape is completely different in every movie, so there’s no point in trying to match some movie reference.

Thanks for the information, I like your job

Continuing the discussion from Hogwarts:

Greetings, your Hogwarts model is really something. On your post you mention being willing to share the file. I would love to take a look at the file. Does the offer still stand?

Someone uploaded it here.

Its pretty incredible model. I’m well versed with cycles but fairly inexperienced with eevee. I am completely lost by your world lighting atmosphere node setup. I wanted to know if there was a quick way to decrease all lighting to be comparable to moonlit? I temporarily disconnected the atmosphere node and hide the sun to see what would happen and the distant mountains still appear bright white. I wanted to see more of what the fountain area in front of the great hall would look like much darker like at the end of Deadly Hallows part 2 during the epic wand battle between Harry and V.

world nodes is super complex

can you explain how it works ?

very nice modelling for the castle

happy cl