Holy .blends!

LOL, i hear you! I think most who started with 1.8 (including myself) got so used to saving because we had to or loose it.

I can’t even count the .blend files we have. There are DVDs full of folders with blend files, textures, fonts, contracts, tutorials, animations and README.txt … i couldn’t even guess.
We do delete the .blend1 files as we go or disable auto save altogether because once a project grows, blend files can quickly go over 10 MEG each so the .blend1 files have no reason to exist once a newer version has been saved.

What I love about blender is that fact that each project can have its very own copy of blender associated with it which means that we can open files down the road without the need to tweak them just so that they would display right.

How are you guys managing your blender library and how do those of you who have created a huge amount of models and textures manage the “database” side of it?

Say you get a freelance job of creating a poster for a car show.
After an initial meeting with the client, you make the car model that will be featured on the poster and then import “extra” models to fill and complete the scene. After tweaking the lighting and rendering the size needed for print, you open the rendered image(s) in Photoshop and add the (client supplied) text and layer styles and after color corrections and various adjustments, you save and send the client a proof to sign off on so that the psd file and fonts used can be uploaded to the printers FTP server. If the printer has no additional requests, it’s Invoice time! YAY

Anyone found a clever way of managing a huge blender asset libray other than a database with enough information to find what you need/have?

I have 368, and only a few teeny tiny no big-deal-projects are finished (like renders of colored sphere’s). I have about 10 (finished) rendered images, and about 110 rendered videos (10 GB), most of them test renders.

BTW, what’s ICK?

P.S.

This is my username alone, anything in the tmp, program files, ect. aren’t included:

holy crap… 555, never realized I had so many, and I remember all of them.

I deleted some of my pointless blend files (fluid test 1, fluid 2, fluid 3, cloth 1, cloth 2, cloth 3 etc.) a couple of weeks ago so I don’t have very many… only 259 (including .blend1)

or 161 not including .blend1

My earliest is from near the end of November last year, so that works out at approximately 1 blend every 2 days. When I put it like that it seems like quite a few :slight_smile:

Well, I’ve got more than zero, but not much more - my count comes in at 40.

893 + some stuff on various flash drives.

1,401. Not including .blend1s. Don’t include blend1s in your count because they’re really just copies of the .blend.

1. Don’t know what some of them are. Kinda afraid to check. Like mould in the fridge.:eek:

lol, ive only had it for about a year and i have 1,194, including the blend1’s, with 17 .rar folders ive dowloaded off this forum, and probably about 70. blends off this forum

lol . . . yep they sure need tidying up!

Found 63 at the office machine; excludes blend1s, shortcuts, texture cd, and everything I didn’t create myself. About 10 of those are unfinished (including the astonished martini), mostly projects that weren’t developed further. We use different tools in our pipeline, and some of those files are preeeeety big. I tend to keep many assets in a single file.