Holy crap, have anyone seen this yet !!!

http://home.gna.org/oomadness/en/soya/screenshot.html

A 3D game engine! So they DO exist! :stuck_out_tongue:

This is, for the moment, Linux only. Not that I care much for game engines…

I don’t know on what kind of machine they were running, but frame rate looks abysmal in regards the quality of the graphics.

Martin

all linux games i have seen so far have very bad frame rates, i have no idea why

penguin races i think it was called, about a penguin sliding down ice getting fish, seemed to have some of the lowest framerates i have seen on my computer, and its graphics were by no means good, i also had a good Nvidia GFX card with the latest drivers.

some day it will happen though

Alltaken

It’s funny how much fsater blender is in linux rather than windows, interface, modeling, clipping in 3dview, rendering even, esp. with my -O3 and -march= :slight_smile:

Soya looks like a great engine and it’s made in python. I hope someday Blender can come close to it’s quality. You think Blender could be programmed to use soya as an extension ?

Soya looks like a great engine and it’s made in python.

Something that should be as fast as possible is written scripting language?

Wow, I know nothing of programming other than a scripting language is not very fast, in fact it’s slow compared to what one could obtain from C, or C++. If I’m not mistaken scripting languages use a “core” or binary (I’m assuming it’s written in a fast language like C or derivitive thereof) that interperets <script_code_x> in real time, as it happens. Scripting languages are fast to develop and maintain but costly when it comes to time frame. Thus they are best suited to augment already availible applications, point in case: blender.

Python’s great for making smaller applications or frameworks. For games maybe it’s good for in-level scripting of objects. And I can see where making levels infinetly interactive with python could be incredibly easy, but creating the entire engine in a scripting language of any kind (PYTHON???!?!?!?!!) creates a bottleneck that simply can’t be broken.

Unless you’ve precompiled all libraries that make the game function, like 3d, sound, 2d, interface etc using C or C++ (or another fast(er?) language) and then used python to call these libraries and cause them to interact you’ll get a very slow game.

Of course that defeats the entire purpose, since you used python for only one reason: speed and ease of development. (unless they want EXTREME extensibility that any idiot with programming experiance can use to really make a nice game with easy programming, that is not facing any potential problems that C and C++ have with being at a far lower system level than python scripting can be)

BTW, crystal space is far more mature, and faster. It’s crossplatform, and open source.

It’s a mix of python and python C so there is C++ codes made with it. If you haven’t read the home page

The reason that games often appear to have way slower drivers in linux is due to the slight difficulty in installing video drivers - If they are installed properly, similar gmes normally get similar framerates… UT2K4 has been reported to get faster framerates in linux!

What’s UT2K4 ? And what you mean by properly ? How is it any different then how mandrake installs it ?

UT2K4 - Unreal Tournament 2004

Proper drivers - Nvidia ./NVIDIA-xxxxxx.xxx.x.x.x.pkg.run to install, or the correct rpm for your distribution and kernel

FYI Doom 3 runs very slightly slower on linux than windows, due to the infancy of the binaries. BUT UT2004 and Quake 3 IMHO run smoother in linux than windows, mainly due to smarter background process handling and less overhead (This was seen on the same box, as I migrated to linux)

I have Armagetron on Linux, it’s 3D and it runs really smoothly.

All I have to do is emerge nvidia-kernel && emerge nvidia-glx, and that installs the drivers. I add nvidia to the modules.autoload.d/kernel-x.y and remove dri from the components list in xorg.config, that’s it.

Oh the Nvidia driver, yes I try that, but my card is damage from excess heat. So it still stalls and crash.

Isn’t the Blender engine already capable of that quality? I’ve seen some very nice looking games done with Blender. Some effects in it were better than in Deus Ex.

Isn’t the Blender engine already capable of that quality? I’ve seen some very nice looking games done with Blender. Some effects in it were better than in Deus Ex.[/quote]

Not in my opinion, Compare the different between the two, Soya has a terrain generator, cell shading, bumps, shadows and the rendering is far smoother. Not sure what the next release has planned, but I already know about the shadows. I’m trying to request alpha scrolling, to cut down some vertex and make it more real. Also like to see some simple texture effect, like spin, grow, shrink, morph, etc

With the original fan/heatsink? If so let me know which manufacterer, I’m looking into a video card and I don’t want to get “burned” (pun intended)

With the original fan/heatsink? If so let me know which manufacterer, I’m looking into a video card and I don’t want to get “burned” (pun intended)[/quote]

It was Abit, however the computer desk that I got, didn’t had a hole in the back, I think it was only there for a shelf. But I cut one back there so it was most likely my fault in the first place. By the way, never use a cpu fan that