Holy crap! Looxis donates facegen like code to Make Human!

http://www.makehuman.org/blog/index.php

Man, I can’t wait to get my hands on this!

The new GUI tools look sweet too!

(apologies if this has been posted already, I tried to search but for some reason Firefox wants to save my search results to a file instead of displaying them)

Hmmm…

I’m not sure what Looxis’ motive is here - they are selling a product and giving their sourcecode to Makehuman which I believe is GPL?

Why?

Koba

my only problem with make human is that all the humans look like a man:o

i seem to remember trying the older version and they looked better.

http://www.looxis.com/

Looxis sells a 3d portrait kind of thing, not software. I think they’d rather concentrate on their core business and let someone else do the software development.

kobs for the same reason microsoft gives free pcs and windows licenses to schools and libraries. most people when they are first starting out on computers or programs use what they have access to for free. if you can get them to learn your software that is what they will probably develope a preference for since thats what they already know. later when they do decide to give up money for programs they’ll have a natural prefrence for software they know how to use. they’ll by better versions of what they got for free.
if they give make human older source code but close enough that people are learning their controls and interface. they’ll have a natural preference for the brand when and if they need something more powerful and are willing to pay for it. think of it as them giving away a software demo, trainingware, and advertising. it’s the same as maya giving away lpe versions.

Hmm, I don’t want to sound like a jerk or anything, but could someone tell me what the point of make human is anyway? Why not model something yourself instead?

mpl

2 reasons

1. not everybody is trained in human modeling, it takes a lot of practice and time to study anatomy first and than model that with polygons.

2. systems like makehuman an allow quick variations, like poser when speed output is more important than unique models - in particular when you deal only with humans and not fantasy figures.

Because it can easily take half a decade of work to become good enough to model a realistic human being from scratch.
If somebody was concentrating on doing landscapes or vehicles, they might not want to take that much time, if all they wanted was a few figures in the background.

Looking on the site at the software, it seems that even some skill is necessary to place the markers in the correct position. If you just took the time to learn some edge loops you could put out a face about the same quality yourself.:yes:

makehuman is a great idea. it could be a time saver if you are in a hurry of making a character.

but right now it is not easy to produce a model that look the way you want. They all tend to look like men inspite of the glands, curves, and all. And the brows their too thick.ouch :evilgrin:

You have to do some adjustments and sculpting in Blender to get a good result.

well, its the same reason people use motion capture instead of keyframing, or laser scanning, not everybody has the skills or the luxury of time to create a model from scratch. Its a tool that makes something a little less complicated

I beg to differ. By that logic, once I’ve learned how to hold a paintbrush, I could paint the Mona Lisa.

MakeHuman is more like having a copy of the Mona Lisa loaded in Photoshop or the Gimp, and using the filters to alter it. Yes, some skill is necessary to use Photoshop, but quite a bit less than painting the lady from scratch.

The problem with making your own meshes of humans is that you quickly run smack dab into the Uncanny Valley.

No one is going to model a human as fast from scratch as they can with MakeHuman.

No one is going to be able to rough out a likeness as quick from scratch, or tweaking a model they’ve already made, as they’ll be able to when Faceworx is implemented in MakeHuman.

You will definitely not be able to fit your textures as fast, working from scratch, as you’ll be able to do with MakeHuman/Faceworx.

If you want CG characters tight enough for close ups, Make Human models and textures will need hella artistic tweaking. But it helps enormously to be able to skip to the fine tuning part.

A minor point–The comment regarding the luxury of time is true, but regarding doing the job for people who ‘(don’t have) the skills’:

Makehuman/Looxis will likely be far less effective in the hands of someone who does not have any reasonably extensive artistic capability already, simply because of the high likelihood that, if they cannot recognize what makes a face photoreal to be able to implement it themselves, they will not be able to recognize when the computer software has created a workable prototype. :stuck_out_tongue:

Very similarly to this, MoCap data is rarely immediately usable. For Pirates of the Carribbean, dedicated and talented animators had to modify Davy Jones’ animation quite a bit, scene-for-scene. This was especially true in the case of his face, in spite of the quantity of mocap markers that had been put on Nighy’s face already.

Fantastic looking tool, though.

Um… any tool that saves time is usefull period. Going on and on about how if someone with no skill uses it and saying that they will produces something rubbish is rather pointless. Why? Because it’s obvious.

–>Time saving is not a minor point… it is in fact a major point…if you’ve ever done 3d work or any work for that matter that requires a short deadline.

–>The program is also usefull because it can be used to help teach people to model correctly because you can inspect the edge loops and mesh flow of the model… and try and re-create it by hand.

–>It is also usefull for roughing out a design and prototyping making animatics… etc

Not every thing should be modelled painstakingly by hand… not every situation demands it… you should use the tools and modelling techniques that are appropriate to the complexity or simplicity of the job.

I wouldn’t exactly compare the quality of that software to the mona lisa.

http://www.makehuman.org/blog/images_articles/faceworx.jpg

Observe this image.

Also, if you were to take the necessary steps to make the correct outlines, or foundations, for the monalisa, in a similar way as the software works, you’d already be halfway done.

Then there’s the fact that, though it might be a time saver, you’re giving up a surprising amount of control.

Also the software in question, by me, is not makehuman, but faceworx. Im fully aware of how make human works.

The problem with making your own meshes of humans is that you quickly run smack dab into the Uncanny Valley.
This is only when you try to go in the area of hyper realism, I’d suspect. And speaking of makehuman, I dont think I’ve seen anything created in it that didnt head strait for this uncanny valley. lol. And I doubt that faceworx will aid any.

–>The program is also usefull because it can be used to help teach people to model correctly because you can inspect the edge loops and mesh flow of the model… and try and re-create it by hand.
Sounds good in theory. Let’s hope it plays out that way. :wink:

Not every thing should be modelled painstakingly by hand… not every situation demands it… you should use the tools and modelling techniques that are appropriate to the complexity or simplicity of the job.

With each passing day I’m beginning to understand this more and more.

Agreed. This is because in 3d work, all deadlines are short.

N00bs will always do bad work. Pro’s will be able to get a great big flying leap out of MakeHuman/Faceworx, and be glad to get onto the final polishing. And who knows, maybe Make Human will continue to improve their models.