Holy uncontrollable smoke Batman!

Ok, it’s nothing to do with Batman.

I have a project I started about 2 years ago, thought I’d revisit it and try to finish it off. It needs some ambient steam. So I’ve setup my domain and smoke emitter, and I get smoke, but it’s like smoke on crack cocaine, it’s going completely nuts. It’s like the smoke is hideously fast compared to the rest of the animation. As if there’s 20 frames of smoke being squeezed into 1 frame of the film. It’s all over the place. As far as I can see all the world settings are pretty much normal.

One thing I should mention, for some reason I started this project animation at 60fps. No idea why, but I did, and I really can’t stand the idea of rekeying all the moving parts, not an option.

I’ve tried changing the timescale of the container right down to .2, which does help, but things still go nuts. I’ve tried all the other settings I can find and can’t make any appreciable difference.

Does anyone have any ideas what I might have done to break this project? Could it be problems from upgrading it through several blender versions?

Any ideas welcome.
Many thanks.