Homemade 3D laser scanner - in progress

hi rherman,
I am sorry that I still haven’t provided any workeable solution yet.
The last days, and actually weeks, I have been pre occupied with my work.
The problem still isn’t that complicated.
in one of the first links in this thread the solution is written out. you have the direction vector of the camera, the plane of the laser and your view plane.
Those form the basis of your 3 unknown solution system.
I regret that I haven’t found time yet.
I hope I can get back to this, this weekend.

Search for
3D Reconstruction from Multiple Images

Srikumar Ramalingam, Chunxiao Zhou
University of California, Santa Cruz,
{srikumar,chunxiao}@soe.ucsc.edu

could be useful

I found this in another blender forum-- thought it would help-- in some way or other

http://graphics.ethz.ch/pointshop3d/overview.html

miff

I don’t know if I can use it, but it is sure interesting. Now, I’ll probably blow an hour tonight playing with it!

I have put the laser scanner on hold for personal reasons - no work. I may have to close my business down and get a real job (sob). Anyway, I plan to incorporate my work with the Photoclinometry script I did with this 3D laser scanner and a home-built 3-5 axis mini cnc machine with some cool blender toolpath creation software and call the whole suite: “Blender Toy Factory” (other suggestions welcome). My dream and hope is that you will be able to do it all from Blender. Animate, render, video, scan, design, cnc-cut, assemble anything you can imagine. I also have some notes, no real hardware yet, on converting an inkjet printer to do additive prototyping with uv cured polymers. The big boys do this, but I want to do it low-tech style (on the cheap). Let me know what you think, and if you have any job offers for a frustrated designer/fabricator/artificer.

Rob

I’m not sure what exactly to say, is it really possible to build a milling machine out of an ink jet printer-- modification of course. If you were to link that with a scanner- all into blender that sounds like the most exciting blender feature extension ever. Making my own toys and what not, or casts for toys.

Milling is too expensive to get done. If it were possible to have a 3D scanner and milling machine in my office that would be unbelievable.
Did you make that cnc machine yourself?

I am really looking forward to see what comes of this.

I haven’t made an additive process machine out of an inkjet printer, but I have made smallish cnc 3-axis machines. If you precision requirements are not too high, say for art work and toys such as ±.010 then you can make a relatively cheap 12"x12"x1" machine for under $500. That is my goal.

Rob