Homeschoolers?

Oops…should’ve answered the topic question, too.:smiley: I’ve been homeschooled my entire life. (I’ll probably start some dual-credit classes next year, but I’ll still be doing some school at home.)

I have not assumed anything. “Here” is the subdivision in central Ohio where I live. I’ve talked to other parents of preschool age kids about homeschooling. Based on the responses I’ve gotten, I can safely say that the preception of homeschooling is as I stated. I am not judging whether the perception is accurate. I am not saying it is my perception. I am not judging anyone’s religious beliefs.

Some of you need to work on your basic reading comprehension.

MartyJ:

Your phrasing contains a logical fallacy, that’s, well, just false.

The above argument you mentioned makes no sense.

It’s weird how this turned into a debate about homeschooling vs. public schooling. I was simply asking who here was homeschooled. : |

You got me there <grin>.

Some of you need to work on your basic reading comprehension.
Everyone misunderstands something at one point in time or another. That doesn’t mean that they have poor reading comprehension skills.

Over here parents that don’t send their kids to school after 5 or 6 years old, not sure, go to jail.

About the quote. I find that really sad. I don’t think kids should be educated to live in a world of adults. They should be educated to live in the world, where there are kids and adults. From experience, mine and from other friends that have grown up with me, I’m sure that to learn how to live in adults world you first have to have lived your child life.

All my life in school I learned not to try to live as an older person but as the child I was. And I’m glad that happened.

You were able to gain the respect regardless of your age but respect has nothing to do with your age.

What is ‘mature’? Being responsible? Knowing how to live with other people? Children can be responsible among kids, they should know to live with other people as well.

My view is that kids should go to school because they are kids and they should live in the children’s world, because once these years are gone, there is no going back.

Really? Because I can think of quite a few kids, a lot younger than you, who probably wouldn’t have any trouble understanding that sentence. Maybe you should work on your basic reading comprehension?

Yeah, that was kind of a bitchy comeback.

I personally only know one person who was homeschooled. She is actually a good friend of mine. She was allowed to attend any sort of social events that she wanted. She was even part of our high school’s science fiction club. She spent as much time with us as any of my friends.

That said, it is quite obvious that there is something “different” about her. Some of the things m non-homeschooled friends and I talk about she will just kind of be lost on. Like some of the slang, how people acted, and things like that. She was also really into going to college, but ended up being miserable there. Had to take time off of school and everything. I know this person very well, and I can safely say that her homeschooling played a role in this.

About the general argument if being homeschooled will affect your social developement. I think that a home schooled child has a greater risk of missing out on some social development, but that would only be if the parents don’t try to make up for their development elsewhere. I would go as far to say that a parent who homeschools their child has an obligation to help further his/her social development. It is something that is taught at public schools, and is a necessary skill to have.

My Neighbor’s kids are homeschooled. I’ve offered to teach one of them Blender as one of their Visual Art topics.

i’m homeschooled… but actually i liked public school better because err you get to see more people. Also alot of the homeschooled people are freaks that like to sit there and be good and do school work.

but whatever

I am not a freak that sits there and is good and does school.

And I dont know of any, either.

One thing that annoys me though(and this isnt just about homeschooling, just life in general), is that following rules is apparently an “uncool” thing to do.

Yup. Not wanting to get grounded for a month, and wanting to have a high-paying job makes you a freak. Undeniable logic.

Also alot of the homeschooled people are freaks that like to sit there and be good and do school work.
There’s nothing wrong with behaving yourself.:smiley: (It keeps the peace, and the priviliges, too.;):D)

One thing that annoys me though(and this isnt just about homeschooling, just life in general), is that following rules is apparently an “uncool” thing to do.
I’m in total agreement with you.

I was homeschooled from third through high. I am somewhat awkward in social situations and despise argument which is why I almost didn’t make this post, however I do not blame anything on my education.

It’s not the education people are really worrying about. You can learn the same information for any number of information. And, especially for younger grades, a parent should be more than good enough to teach you.

The thing people are discussing is the difference in social obstacles and situations a child is faced with. Personally, I was never homeschooled, and would never want to trade my experience in public school for anything. Way too many cool people that I met. Would I still have met some of them if I hadn’t gone to public school? Maybe… but probably not.

If you say that you don’t think your homeschooling affected you, then that’s fine, but I can say with some certainty that it has affected my friend (the only person I have to judge things on).

Excuse me for asking MartyJ, as this is totally unusual in my country, but is there someone or an official entity who credits what you studied and makes it valid, for graduating etc etc etc so that you can be accepted in college? Do you get grades, reports, etc? Are you taught by a tutor or by your parents?

I’ve seen it a couple of times on TV but it really pinches my curiosity :wink: So any info you provide will be great. Meanwhile I’m googling bout’ it

That is what I meant.

In the USA people don’t let the government push them around, after all its the land of the free. It would be unconstitutional to force kids to go to a government school. However, the gov. does require that you do some sort of schooling, and there are several different ways they keep track of that for homeschoolers. Also, there is a GED certificate that you can get by taking a test. Passing this test proves that you have a high school education. In some countries, it’s hard to get a job without official schooling certification, but in America, people are very practical and not into labels and degrees as much as skill and knowledge. By the way, most countries actually do have a homeschool type system that most people don’t know about. In Mexico, for example, there is a system where you take a test every few months. That is how the government can deal with problem kids and kids with special needs or who must travel with their parents alot. But they will generally let anyone use the program, though people don’t usually because they fear they can’t teach their kids or that they won’t be able to get a job.

Not at all. :slight_smile:

There is someone who gives me credits. My parents. All of the grades are recorded, and we go by the CORE-40 system, so at the end of high-school, our parents count up all the points, and if they’re more than 40, I get to graduate. Sounds kind of iffy, but that’s the system public schools use.

Of course, lest my parents should mess up, there is the PSAT and SAT, which are the ones that REALLY matter when you want to go to college.

Thanks MartyJ! :slight_smile: you’re most kind.
I remember taking the SAT since my school was bilingual and American (funny to have that in Colombia, huh?), so you also got an approved high school degree besides the regular one.

When I first read this, I found it quite amusing. I’ve underlined the spelling mistakes I noticed, and am now pointing out that there are no full stops (or capitalisation) in that post. Also, the second paragraph should probably be broken into a couple of sentences.

I’ve only done this because it was a post arguing that one educational system was/is better than another.

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Say. Stuff.

I suppose I’ve sort of been homeschooled. I am enrolled in a school, but have little need to ever go to it. The name it goes by is ‘Distance Education’, though some might find ‘Correspondence School’ rings more bells. Link.

This reply spellchecked in OpenOffice, since it points out errors in someone else’s spelling.

To be totally fair, he wasn’t arguing that the public school system is actually better, but the the public schools are better, because they force more socialization.