[Edit] Inspired by the positive response I decided to finish the car:
This was just a test for modeling cars quickly using purely bump maps (two as it happened). The idea is to speed up modeling for cars that don’t require high detail, i.e. cars that are placed in the background of a scene.
It still needs tyre textures mapped, spoiler, and of course wing mirrors (which would need to be modeled the conventional way). But it’s finished as far as the test goes.[/img]
A first gen!! That was my first car! Great work, looks very accurate.
Some things to keep in mind as you continue with the mirrors/spoiler. Some of the ealier models (only the 84’s I think) only had a driver side mirror. Also, the DX model didn’t have a spoiler at all so there is really no need to model one, especially if this is just going in the background some where.
Of course, that info is for CRX’s sold in the US and yours does not look like a US model.
Do you mean the ‘InterPol’ button in the texture settings? I found it better with it enabled. I think a higher resolution bump map may help, but realise there’s going to be limits to this technique. I must admit I’m suprised at how well it really has worked.
Basicaly you unwrap the mesh, and export the uv-map to an image file. Then in Photoshop (or paint package of your choice) set the background as a neutral grey (127,127,127). Anything lighter or darker will then become the raised or lowered surfaces. Draw the features of the car on like the panel seams, window indents, grills, badges, etc.
Back in Blender, load the bump map image as a material texture, and set the mapping co-ordinates to ‘UV’ (Also load them into the UV viewer and set your view to potato mode. That way you can see any mistakes without the need to render).
Hope that makes some kind of sense. I’m going to put together a tutorial on it soon, but stick a post on here if you run into trouble.