horror survival example version 2.0 (zombie and screenshots)

so anyway…

i was sitting around in my house and started thinking… wouldnt it be cool to make a game like resident evil? would that even be possible?

so i did a bunch of tests and i came up with what i feel is a very efficent way to make a resident evil style set up. i mean as in, you walk around and get diffent intersting camera angles and such.

im currently tied up with project echo at the time but i believe in the right hands, someone could mod this and make a very neat horror survival game. and it shouldnt be too hard to figure out the rest since a zombie ai system only includes:

EAT BRAAAAAAINS!
die

the character model is free for you to use. is fully rigged, and you can use it here,… or port it over to another game. he is untextured and pretty basic so he is easy to mod and mold into what ever you want him to be. he is currently:

• rigged with simple animations
  • capable of basic facial expresions
  • capable of lipsync
  • capable of being remolded easily
  • currently clothed (somewhat baggy pans tucked in to boots) costume modeled after:

so why did i model him as a us army soldier? have you ever been in an army office at night? yeah… kinda creeped me out. perfecet setting for a horror game.

oh yea, the file, i nearly forgot…
http://www.savefile.com/files/1569376 version 1.0
http://www.savefile.com/files/1571741 version 2.0

Attachments

I suggest posting a screenshot- it’s happened before that people put stuff I’d really rather not see up, and as a general rule I don’t download unless I know what I’m getting into. I happen to know you personally wouldn’t do that, so I downloaded, but it’s always good to give a heads up.

I like the concept, and it looks pretty good, just a few comments:
-I suggest not using DLoc for movement, use force or linV so you don’t have that bouncing off walls issue.
-it would be cool if, instead of forward/backward/rotate left and right, the controls were move away from camera, towards camera, and to the camera’s left and right- basically, oriented to the camera, for a more natural feel. this would take a bit of setting up (I have an old mario64 style movement setup that would do the trick with some tweaking), but I think it would be worth it. (if you don’t mind, I might take a shot at doing this later today)

nice work, it’s great to see people making resources for blender.

okay. so now i updated the horror suvival template. (all updates will be on the front post)
version 2.0!

enemy ai is included in this one and its pure logic bricks for noob friendliness. thats right, i included an easily edit-able, easily “copy and pate-able” easily modified, fully rigged, and animated zombie model example. this zombie is set on the lowest possible weakness setting by default, by by increasing a few numbers, he can be a very powerful zombie, or a zombie with strenghts and weakneses. so what does he do? well:

• he stands around and basiclly acts like an undead idiot, or, “zombie” until you come close to him.
  • he smells your fresh living flesh and limps over to you
  • when he gets right up close to you, in a flash, he grabs onto your shoulders and starts visciously chomping away on your neck until you shake him off. (thats right you need to manually get him off of you)
  • after you knock him off, he gets disoriented and when he recovers he attempts to finish his meal.you can easily edit the zombie’s: speed (how fast he moves), strength (how long it takes to shake him off of you), senses (how far it can smell you from), and aggressivness (how long he gets disoriented before he resumes attacking).
    i havnt actually added a way for you to kill the zombie yet… but it will be in the next version.

version 2.0 includes:

• fully customizable zombie model with ai and animations
  • new character animations (you character respones to the zombie attacks, and his face stays twisted in pain after words)
    controls remain the same, but when a zombie latches onto you, you wont be able to move. tap “E” rapidly until you break free.

to clone the zombies, select the bound tube, the model, and the armature and hit “shift+d” and move your clone to the desired place in the room. select the clone’s bound tube and see what its name is (should be something like Tube.001) select the armature of your clone and go to the very last actuator (should be a parent actuator) and change it to the name of the bound tube you just saw.

like i said earlier, the resident evil inspired horror/survival template and everything in it is free for you to use and learn from. you can either copy them into your game, or start building directly on top of the template (hence, no textures, sounds, etc…)

WARNING! THIS WILL NOT WORK ON ANY BLENDER VERSIONS PRIOR TO BLENDER 2.46

-I suggest not using DLoc for movement, use force or linV so you don’t have that bouncing off walls issue

i need dLoc to overcome friction.

-it would be cool if, instead of forward/backward/rotate left and right, the controls were move away from camera, towards camera, and to the camera’s left and right- basically, oriented to the camera, for a more natural feel. this would take a bit of setting up (I have an old mario64 style movement setup that would do the trick with some tweaking), but I think it would be worth it. (if you don’t mind, I might take a shot at doing this later today)

i set it up based on resident evil, but sure! i encourage modification.

how do you armature parent deform in the modifiers for the body

Thanks for the model!

OMG!!! i love the baking and the camera switching, makes it so scary and true-to-game-horror-genre!!!

one thing i suggest, which ive suggested to people before is this:
you are clearly baking AO in order to have realistic lighting. but when you do this, turn up the AO settings all the way for baking. it will take away the ‘spottiness’ of the shadows.

pretty cool! how do you do AO baking, for GE?

but that crappy baking is what makes the visuals so muddy and scary, its true to PS1 horror games! That’s why its not crappy!:slight_smile:

muddy, yes, scary, no XP

there’s a difference between “muddy” and “dirty” in visuals. in all games avoid the former, but shoot for the latter in realistic styles. (muddy=unclear, messy- dirty= not clean and perfect)

Hey this is pretty cool, I just started modelling a zombie shoot-em-up game. These characters will help me out heaps. Here are some screenies of what I’ve done. I’ll be sure to show you what it looks like if I ever finish it.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q146/andrew-101/Blender/Screenshots/screen01-1.png
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q146/andrew-101/Blender/Screenshots/screen02-1.png

can you or someone that has downloaded the files please please re-post them on this page because the links say that the file has been deleted :open_mouth: am a really really big RE fan and have been working on a 3rd person survival horror game for quite some time but a came across your zombie ai and its looks utterly amazing and also looks almost the exact same as the RE zombie ai style so it would be much apreciated for you to re-post thanks :slight_smile:

its cool people LOL a just tried again and it worked.

thanks for this great template :eek: it looks absolutely amense :eek::smiley:

Mcgee;)

please could someone upload the link again cause its not working ?