Hot Chocolate

A cup of hot chocolate…
here
Made it in about 30 min.

Good. I would suggest adding ripples around where the spoon enters the liquid, though…

dante

You might want to darken the picture a tad. It’s just a little too bright.

Good job on the modelling and textures. The hot chocolate seems to need a little improvement. I couldn’t tell you what to change, but something just isn’t right . . . %|

looks good but the hot chocolate isn’t dark enough, proably shouldnt reflect that much either and like dante said try to add ripples around the spoon.

I really hate to be a nag, but here goes it:

The cup is really strange, the image is too bright, there needs to be bubbles around the rim of the cup where the liquid is stopped by the cup, same with the spoon. use the area light and amb occ to give soft shadows.

I’m no normally a nag like that, but this scene has potential! It could be very artsy given enough time :slight_smile:

Make two cups of hot choclate, one to drink now, and one to look at. Take it into your PC room and with a single up-close 60-watt lamp see how things affect it. Once you’ve looked at it and worked on your scene, drink the second cup. :stuck_out_tongue:

What ^he^ said.

made some changes… but now i’m not going to change it anymore.
:smiley: (klick the smiley for the image)

I’m not going to go into more details, but it doesn’t look like any cup I’ve ever seen… next time, work for 3 hours instead of 30 minutes and really try to capture some detail. You can’t improve if you don’t set higher goals for yourself in both modelling AND texturing/lighting. A good 3d artist notices everything and reproduces all of it’s qualities so that it will look real from any angle.

not bad, like the wood textures. :smiley:

I didn’t want it to look real… I did it for fun… :smiley:

It still applies, unless improving isn’t a goal.

I didn’t say it should look real, I just implied that it should look good. Goodness is arbitrary, but I can say fairly surely that your opinion on what you’ve created and the opinions of others could have a wide gap between if you don’t aim for some kind of quality goal (in other words, refining what you create instead of accepting what you’ve created and leaving it). To me it’s another badly textured 3d model placed not-so-seamlessly onto a photograph texture. I say this not to offend, but to help you improve.

Let’s not rake 'im too much, eh?

When I looked at the picture, what “drew my eye” as implausible is the treatment of the saucer. I really expected a little more texture, or maybe the indentation that I usually see in a saucer. It would be interesting to see what radiosity (projecting the surroundings onto the cup to create reflection) would do with it.

Little-details decisions, like bubbles and ripples and so-on, are, I think, artistic decisions … in the sense that a plausible rendering can be made with or without them. If you want to omit them, simply make the rendering look more like a painting. And render everything so that it works out that way: in other words, don’t put lots of details here and omit them there without an excuse, such as depth-of-field, to explain it. That becomes “implausible.”

Briefly mounting my soapbox … :wink:

I observe frequently that where many renderings fall short is not so much in their treatment of materials and shapes, but their treatment of light and light-color. Most renders seem to use stock-white lights with no particular “light quality,” no particular “mood,” no use of depth-of-field. As a studio photographer, that is everything to me. Even if the modeling is simplistic and the textures unimaginative (neither of which I mean to imply in this case), the light carries the picture.

Improving isn’t a goal!
I did this to have something to do for 30 minutes.
I just sat down and started blending and this is what I made. I consider it finnished because I’m not going to work on it anymore.

Thanks for the replies anyway. (the longest replies I ever got :wink: )
/adde