hot-dog man!!

hi i’m new to the foums and i’ve been using blender for almost three years now. This is my first model to actualy come out good, I call him frank. after l finnish him i’ll probly make a corndog named cornelius. usually i used the per-poly aproach for modeling but ever since i got the book introducing character animation with blender by Tony Mullen I picked up a few tips and tricks and after a few days of on/off modeling i got this. after i model his shoes i’ll start texturing him. C&C well be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Haha! Very nice! I like that a LOT. The bun doesn’t look a whole ton like a bun and more like a tan vest. A bun, as far as I know, is usually more like a rectangle with semi-circles on the ends, rather than just a rounded rectangle. Also, I think his hips look a bit odd, but great job! I can’t do stuff like this.

These look really good, his face is very expressive, good job. I’m no expert, but the topology looks quite nice too. That’s what I’m trying to learn (topology). Thanks for sharing.

ok, I’ve added boots last night, id post rendered images but my current compositing node set-up kinda messes up the image so here are some real-time renders.
qazplm123890: i’m glad you like it! and yeah, the bun does look like a tan vest but i modelled it without a referance so thats probly why but i’m currently modelling another one with a referance so that one should look like a hot dog bun.
Gally: thanks for your comment! as for learning topology this might help you http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8911 its more for head modeling but i found it usefull

Attachments

I made a post earlier today but I got a message saying it had to be approved by a moderater for some reason and apperently it wasnt aproved. but, here are the latest images of the model, with the bun remade to look more bun-like and some boots i made last night.
qazplm123890: I’m glad you like it! as i said above i redid the bun, and as for the hips they were intentionally made them that way but i might change them in the neer future.
Gally: i’m glad you like it also! in my last post i had a link to a web-site that had stuff about making good topolog but i think thats why my post didn’t go through.

right now i’m moving on to textureing the bun but its turning out to be harder than i thought. does any one know how to unwrap a model without the uv coordinets coming out horribly distorted?

Attachments

to uv unwrap something you need to add seams, if you wanted to you can just unwrap it using one of the automatic ways then just use projection painting

to uv unwrap something you need to add seams, if you wanted to you can just unwrap it using one of the automatic ways then just use projection painting

actualy my model does have seems in it but it still comes out deformed

I’m not a big fan of texturing either, but in my experience, I usually just unwrap, work on each piece semi-manually with proportional editing or pins, and then paint.

If they are really really distorted, then you may not be placing them in the right… uh… place. You want them to be relatively hidden, but you also want them to flow nicely and have minimal stretching. Since this is a reasonably high-poly model probably going to be used in some sort of humorous short film or series, I don’t think it matters so much on hiding the seams as you can use a clone brush to conceal it.

Have you seen the video about the Blender rock with really nice textures? Watch it. His process is interesting and will be very useful! Unfortunately, I can’t seem to have the link. Grah. It was on the BlenderArtists homepage earlier. Where’s the archive?

well i figured out how to get my uv less distorted thanks to some searching on the textureing and lighting forums and i was following the projection painting tutorial but now i’ve run into another problem: i cant see what i’m painting 'cause every time i try to paint my model it just turns white. i’m pretty sure its a problem related to my crappy embedded ati graphics chip set witch is always givin me problems but it could be somthing else. so pretty much now i can’t texture my model.

it’s been a while since i’v worked on this but i’v been working on the armature and i’v nearly completed it. hears a rendering of the hot dog in a pose i made him in just to play around with the armature. i’d post a screen shot of the armature but i wanna go to bed now and the armature makes him look like he has a boner:o

Attachments

Little by little i’ve been working on the rig, the image i showed above was riged only with bone heat wich is why the arm squashes at the joint but i’ve fixed it. Here are some new images with the hand all nicely rigged.

Attachments