Hot Key Conflict

Continuing the discussion from BagaPie Addon:

I’m sure you already know this but I have a lot of addons and Bagapie is in competition with Sync Modifiers with the hot key J. Sync Modifiers always displays so I had to change Bagapie to “Shift =” to get the pie menu.

Maybe I’ll change Sync Modifiers instead since I use Bagapie more often.

Either way, it’s getting harder to keep track of the changes in hot keys needed because of conflicts.

Hi,

It is not conceivable for me to change the shortcut. Even if I wanted to, there are 80,000 versions of BagaPie downloaded, that would be a big change.

But, for various reasons several people have already asked to be able to customize the shortcut.
So I think it will be one of the features of the next version of BagaPie.

It’s difficult to find hot keys that aren’t used in Blender’s hundreds of hot key combinations unless you use the developer’s “Find Key” or just try unusual combinations that don’t seem to be in competition to other addons.

Completely understand that changing the J hot key would effect tens of thousands of Bagapie users—which is a fantastic addon and just mind boggling why you give it away for free while addons that have far less capabilities on Blendermarket charge a price. God bless you for your generosity.

Yours is one of the most encompassing too addons for Blender.

May God or your religion give you blessings in your life as He has with me.

There are more than a dozen times I should be dead and I can only explain my life today to a divine force of some sort. I was a Marine platoon commander in Vietnam 68-69.

I stepped on three mines that didn’t detonate. A sniper nicked my helmet when I was resting against a tree. He misjudged the wind.

One day I had 34 Marines in my platoon at dawn, and when the sun set only four of us were still alive and unwounded.

One night our company position was accidentally hit with friendly 155 mm artillery about 1 am. At the time, I was out of my foxhole relieving myself when the first rounds impacted. I dropped to the ground and I remember cursing that the buttons on my uniform were preventing me from getting lower to the ground. The shrapnel was mowing down trees and Marines.

It was the most terrifying experience of my life. If you have never been in an artillery barrage, then you can’t possibly understand. I remember the Company commander screaming into the radio to cease fire, but the chain of command had to go through the Vietnamese as well which delayed the decision and so the rounds just kept coming in.

It was well after dawn that we were still evacuating our dead and wounded.

But despite the significant losses, in true Marine tradition, we saddled up and continued our mission. War sucks and is brutal. But you either regroup and continue to fight or you give up. Giving up was/is not an option in the Marine Corps.

One of my assignments was to be the project officer to automate the Marine Corps’ officer assignment system. At the time (1978) there was almost nothing about computers. I was an infantry officer with 10 years of combat and training experience, but the only thing I knew at the time was that NASA used computers. I had no idea that Headquarters Marine Corps in DC had massive computers in the basement. At the time I was appointed, I had not idea what a computer was, what a floppy disk

In those days, an infantry officer was expected to be able to do any assignment except fly aircraft. I built my computers from scratch to understand how they worked, and I self-taught myself to learn various computer languages.

In the end, I did have a contractor to develop the code, but I learned to program the output code in Natural (the precursor to SQL) and I wrote about 100,000 lines of code for the various categories of outputs need by the assignment monitors.

Afterwards, I served two more years in combat in Latin America supporting the host nation’s counter-insurgency operations.

I know how hard combat is and I know how challenging coding is. Please keep up the good work. The next download I’ll contribute a sizeable contribution.

1 Like