How add this material library

Hello
I found here this amazing shader collection and I try to add it on my library.
But how to do that?
Here is the link of the great shader :

Not entirely sure what you mean by “library”. Could you possibly be asking about some sort of library addon?

The download link is just for a .blend file, which essentially is a library of stuff stored in it. Using Blender’s append function (File > Append), you can take any part of that downloaded resource (materials, meshes, node groups, etc.) and import it straight in to the scene you currently have loaded. I do this all the time, so when I need a material, I can just append it from a different scene, and now suddenly, the material is available to be selected for the objects in the loaded scene.

Wow it looks super easy, great !

• So I have selelected my object
  • File > Append > Thin film… > Material
    And then… nothing happened :frowning:

After File > Append > Thin film… > Material > (select the materials you want) … it’s in your scene (no matter if you have selected anything or not). You only have to point the material where you want it to go.

1 Like

There is a material library addon included in Blender. You search for “Material Library” in addons from preferences. There from the addon settings, be sure to configure a secure external path where the libraries will be saved/stored different than the Blender installation path. Then you can create libraries and add materials of the selected object to one of the libraries.
When you add a material to the library, the .blend file from where you do it is overwritten. So be careful with that if you made any changes to the scene.

If that .blend file has different versions of materials, you simply change the material from the material selector in the Material tab and you add them to the libraries one by one.

Edit:
You don’t need to do it one by one :grinning:
You simply copy .blend file with a representative name (for example “Thin-Film Interference.blend”) to the folder that you set on Material Library addon preferences.

WOWWWWW it works !!!
Thank you very much for you help MarioPeper and Yafu :wink:
I can go on now…

Generated coords? I’ve seen similar setups before, but using reflection coords.

LOL this comes from another thinfilm topic. I was just looking for a screenshot with the mat selector and found it suitable.

You don’t need to do it one by one :grinning:
You simply copy .blend file with a representative name (for example “Thin-Film Interference.blend”) to the folder that you set on Material Library addon preferences.