How can Baking on unique map different materials

Hello everyone,

I don’t know if this is the right section for my problem.

In the first two images you can see the materials created, wood, glass and brass, applied to furniture. I then baked in a single map for the Diffuse, Roughness, Normal and Glossy textures. I then deleted the original materials, to apply those generated by baking, through the Node Wrangler, with the function “Add Principled Setup”. As you can see from the last two images, the wood is quite passable, but the glass is not at all, it is not transparent and also the brass of the hinges and knobs is not like the original material.

I tried to re-bake the various maps activating “Transparent” and “Transparent Glass” in the options of the “Film” section before proceeding, but the result is the same, opaque glass and brass totally different from the original.

Is there any option to fix the problem? Where do I go wrong?

Thanks for the help!

When you baked the textures, the material you used to bake it was a diffuse material? Cause I believe you could not bake metal or glass directly.

First of all, I can see that you have a problem with the shader that you want to make many different things but that you are not telling it to.

To have the metal parts working as metal you need to have baked a metalness map. For the glass you need to have baked a refraction map.

I also believe that the roughness values for those parts is not correct at all.

I hope this can help you.

Hi @Calandro, thanks for the help.
I’m not very familiar with this, I’ve just recently started doing projects in this area.
I made different maps (Diffuse, Roughness, Normal and Glossy), but each time with all materials together, joining all objects with Ctrl+J.
So I have to bake metals on their own, wood the same and glass the same?
Isn’t there a way to bake all materials in one map at a time?
How do you bake the metalness maps for metal and refraction for glass?

Actually, you really don’t need to bake them. You just need to create 2 different images and paint it white where you have the metal on one, and in the other you paint the same white where you have the glass.

Use the first as the metalness map and the second as the transmission.

The transmission map you could have baked but not the metalness.

Sorry, but I didn’t understand the process I need to follow.
In addition to the textures already created (Diffuse, Glossy, Roughness and Normal), I have to create two other images, where in one I color white where there is metal (metalness) but in which of the previous textures should I make this change?
And in the other one those of white where there is glass (transmission), right?
At this point which of all these textures should I select, through the Node Wrangler, to create the new material?

In none of them, you are going to create a new image for each map and paint the UV parts that represent the metal and the glass in white. One of each in a separate image. The metal in one image and the glass in the other image.

Save those 2 new images and then connect them to the sockets I told you.

I baked the metal map, where the other materials are black and the metal is white. Then I baked the transmission map, for the glass, where the other materials are black and the glass is white.
I added these two new textures to the material, as seen in the image.
The brass is now a little improved, but not as realistic as the original material.
The glass is still opaque, not transparent. Nothing has changed.
Forgive me if I don’t quite understand the steps you’ve told me, being a novice I have a lot of confusion in my head and have trouble interpreting well the concepts of things I don’t know.

It’s because it’s following the roughness value of the roughness map you have reated.

Now you need to edit the roughness map where you have the glass and the metal so the image need to be black where the glass is and a dark gray where the metal is.

You need to remember that this map for the roughness converts gray scale values into roughness, so darker parts mean less roughness. So make your metal shiny or rough as you prefer. The glass is normally very near to black or black, as you prefer.

Another thing is that you should also connect all the images you create in the same mapping node your other textures are connected.

I connected the image texture nodes together.
The roughness map I used to recreate the material though, is already black where there is glass and dark gray where there is metal:

Well, it will really depend on the amount of roughness you want. I see that the parts where the metal is are not dark enough. It will give a roughness for the metal around 0.5 or ever higher and it’s too rough comparing to the first image you posted, from the original. Let me test it here.

Yes, I made some tests here and it gets much better with a darker metal roughness map.

This is the metal area of your roughness map applied to a metal material in the roughness socket, as it is:

Now, the same area but after passing the texture through a “hue saturation” node and setting the “value” to 0.4, so this way the image gets much darker:

Same, with the value at 0.2:

So you need to find the gray value that corresponds to the result you want in those areas, and it’s not what is in the texture, I think.

1 Like

I redid the darker roughness texture, it’s better now.
I also made a texture for the alpha, as you can see from the image, but if I connect the color node of the texture to the alpha node of the principled, the glasses disappear.
If I connect the alpha node of the texture to the alpha node of the principled, the glasses are reflective but not transparent.

Maybe I think I should bake a texture transmission and connect it to the transmission channel of the principled?

I believe you forgot what I said about the transmission map above. It was not to connect anything to the alpha socket. It was supposed to connect the image where you painted the area of the class in white to the transmission channel.

In this texture everything else should be black, only the area of the glass should be white. With that everything will be ok.

I said it here:

1 Like

Sorry for the incompression.
I recreated the transmission texture following your color directions and applied it to the input of the pricipled transmission node.
The glass is now reflective, but not transparent.
I can’t set “Value” of the Hue Saturation node to a value less than 1, otherwise the wood becomes too shiny and unreal.

Is the glass double sided? That means, does it have thickness?

Yes the glass has a thickness, now I don’t remember how much exactly, maybe a few millimeters.

Could you make a copy of your file. Deleting all the other parts of your model and letting only the glass with the textures attached and send me to inspect?

I think it’s easier than trying to figure out this way.

yes ok, I will prepare it now and attach it…

Another thing: What is the base color of the glass on the color texture? It needs to be pure white. I see already from the first image that it’s not the case.