How can I fix artifacts in elbow like that?

I need my character to take something by hand. I have to rotate the lower arm bone by something near 180 degrees. It causes the artifacts shown in the pictures. I tried to rotate the upper arm bone instead but I failed. I tried to change the wight paint it helped a little but still not good.

The hand has to be in that direction to look good. This is the max rotation that gives good looking.

Here’s my bone setup:

What does the topology in the affected area look like? It plays a major role.

1 Like

Ht, this could help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTQ9gyeaeWI

2 Likes

The topology consists of squads which I think is clean. At the elbow area, there are three rings (edges) cutting the lines that are along the arm. Is this good enough?

Watch the video link, it has a solution. its not the mesh its the rig.

1 Like

Just a quick questions - is your armature at the top of the stack in the modifier panel? If not, make sure it is. It might help in this instance.

Alternatively, it looks as if the elbow weights are deforming the forearm area. Check the weights for the elbow joint.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve just watched the video. Seems like this is what I need and I’m going to try it later. Although that there are many steps like extra bones and drivers but I’m going to try it. Thanks :wink:

1 Like

That video is pretty amazing. I would have used a bendy bone to spread the twist over the forearm but the way to keep the volume in the wrist when flexing it is a great solution. Relatively simple too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes