How can I improve my boieng 737-400 mesh? I have a couple small cock issues! :)

I’m having some issues with the cockpit window, I gave a a base material color, but it comes out wavy! I did try and get red of some of the triangles, but it deformed the mesh too much. The mesh has both a mirror and a subdivision surface modifier on. I did a recalculate normals and a remove doubles btw. :slight_smile:

1. I want to clean up the topology around the window.
  2. Some faces around the cockpit area what allow me to add loop cuts.
    3)There is a black seam running along the length of the aircraft
    4)There are a few “stretch marks” around the nose of the aircraft

I included a screenshot and the .blend file, the geometry would need a few miner adjustments like the main wing thickness. But besides that I’m happy with it. After its modeled I wont to create a realistic aircraft crash simulation.
So any advice when cleaning up the cockpit area??? Boeing737-400.blend (546 KB)Boeing737-400.blend (546 KB)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]467624[/ATTACH] I used a knief to cut the topology here, but this is wireframe

Things that are to be avoided when using subsurf modifier

Faces with > 4 sides.
Triangles on non planar surfaces

Maybe delete / separate the window faces from the rest of the plane

Also turn off the mirror modifier and look at your mesh
You have overlapping mesh because you have vertices crossing the mirror plane

1 Like

I’ll re-cut the mesh so that its exactly half, then re-applie the mirror modifier. That should fix it. So the best is to have a quad, can you also run into problems if the face is an ngon, in terms of subdividing?

If it still gives me trouble, I’ll separate the window from the mesh and make its own object. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice!