how can i make a door open only if your next to it?

ok well basicly my title says it all lol, but any way. i want to make a door open only if your like right in front of it. i was thinking of something like adding a invisible plane in front of the door and set up the logic bricks, like i wanted something like collison with human makes the doors logic bricks true… something like that but i dont really know what to do. please help thanks.

Well, you pretty much answered your own question. Put a plane in front of the door that is ghosted and invisible. It will still register collision if it’s an actor. Then have it open the door. The easy way to do that is to select both the plane and the door. Then you can run your wires from the plane controller to the door actuator.

Can’t you just use the logic-bricks ???

Should be very easy to do I believe I made an example of this long time ago I dont know if I still have it I will make an example later doing it the way you explained but not right now sorry =(

ok im still trying to figure this out. i can make it open if i click on it but not excatly what i want, what you said fireside. how could i do something like that? like once im on the plane the doors logicbricks turn true, or basicly they kinda like wire there selfs. but i dont know how to do this.

Is this what you mean:
Do you want it so when you walk into the plane the door opens? if so then this is what i’d do.
Give the plane a property.
Make a collision sensor to that property.
connect it to AND
connect it to the Animation or whatever.

what i would probably would do(even though i haven’t tested this yet) give a plane a property, put a near sensor(once you get near the object)to that property, AND, and conect it to a ipo(the animation it will perform).

lol uh… this is complecated to me lol, all i want is some simple door open once your next to it and click on the door to open it. think of it this way… you cant open a door in real life if you cant reach it lol.

lol uh… this is complecated to me lol, all i want is some simple door open once your next to it and click on the door to open it. think of it this way… you cant open a door in real life if you cant reach it lol.

O.K. So you need two things to happen before the door opens: your next to it(collision plane), and you click on it (mouse over and left click). They have to all be true for it to happen, so you run wires from each sensor to one “and” controller. The wire going out of the controller goes to the door actuator which opens the door.

This all looks way too complicated.
Here is what I have done:

1. Select the door
  2. add a sensor
  3. make the sensor a near sensor
  4. connect that sensor to the same controller that opens the door now
  5. adjust the distance

In other words, if you want to mouse over and open the door only when you are close to it then you will have 3 sensors:

1. “Mouse” set to “Over”
  2. “Mouse” set to “left button”
  3. “Near” set to the distance you wish

Connect all three to a single “and” controller then connect that controller to the actuator

ok… just a quck question, im useing a empty with a camera parnted to the empty, the empty is my human. can the collision thing react to the empty?

Your complete overkill on the acronem “lol” has compelled my to refuse to answer your question.

how about you use spellcheck? And dont post in here for no reason loser.

ok… just a quck question, im useing a empty with a camera parnted to the empty, the empty is my human. can the collision thing react to the empty?

I don’t think so. I don’t use them that much except for positioning. You could parent an object to it, or find some other work around. Social posted a walkthough that uses a cylinder. You might want to have a physical presence in the world if it’s a game or your going to run up against that problem pretty often.

No, there has to be some sort of mesh “collision plane”. However, that doesn’t mean that the plane, or preferably cube, has to be visable. Remember, the shape of your object in the game is set in the Bounds option. A cube in the game can be set to the shape of a cylinder and not require as many verticies.

well what i did is made a cube, then i added my human empty with the camera partented to the empty, then parented my empty to my human empty, ok well when i play the game [p], it wont move verticaly or horzontaly, but i can look around so i no its the cubes fault. And i want to make this a first and third person view mode game, so if the cube messes up the controls, the human model will do the same. oh yeah i for got to mention that i turned the mesh to invisible and turned off the colision still get nothing…

i went and uploaded a file so that you can look at it, and tell me what to do. http://www.axifile.com?5257620
thanks.

Check out Social’s template. He’s worked out the bugs and it would be easy to add a 3rd person, just parent it.
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80406

ok thanks, i used that camera setup in my .blend and i got it to work, not all i got to do is copy the logics and stuff and i go it lol. thanks fireside, and social for the .blend, ok edited*
i got it working, but every freaking min when i run this .blend with social’s walkthrough it freazes and i half to quit the program.