How can I make a fine grain metal surface?

(Yasoo2) #1

O.K, I haven’t tried everything yet, but I’m not getting any closer to getting the results I want for a fine grain metal surface. Does anyone have any suggestions?

(forTe) #2

If your talking about brushed metal, thats not an easy effect to produce well without anisotropic shaders. However, you can fake it.

I believe there are some in the DarkTree shaders (search here to find out about a way to use those).

Internal to blender, you can stretch a cloud texture and get it to a certain point. However, in the CVS/New Release there is supposed to be a something that is decent, though not the best for producing the results on a flat surface. It was recently posted here. Or you can look at blender.org.

If you meant something else please post again!

(Yasoo2) #3

Thanks forte, I’ll take a look. The radial thing looks nice, but not quite what I was trying to do. I’m not sure if I mean brushed metal. The only way I can think to describe it is that it would look like thousands of extremely fine filings that sorta sparkle just a tad as you turn the object in front of a light source, but mostly looks a little dull. :slight_smile: If that makes any sense…

(Fligh) #4

Sandblasted! Use a Stucci texture with very little Noise and Turb as a bump map and instead of Lambert diffuse shader use Oren-Nayer with the Rough turned up.

%<

(Spin) #5

Stainless Steel Tutorial…

http://free.hostdepartment.com/B/Blender3D/stainless/
I used the exact settings to get this…
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nvj6/Blender/forum/Stainless.jpg

Make sure you convert the JPG to a TGA file (if needed)

the BLEND file is pre-packed with the image. It is setup for YafRay.

I hope this helps some.

(edwin) #6

theres a gimp tutorial on making brushed metal;i think its at gug …

type gug in the google search area

i think gug is gimps user group

do the gimp tutorial then use that as your textured material

(Yasoo2) #7

I’ve tried messing with this every now and again. These techniques aren’t giving me the results I want. It looks like noise mixed with lines. I need more of an iron filings layered look.

This might not be a real-world technique, but another way I’m thinking to describe what I’m looking for - different colored and different sizes of slivers of metal sprayed on a surface. How can I get that look?