how can i model the great wall of china?

can anybody help me or give me a starting point on how to model the great wall of china? thanks :slight_smile:

em… no, not really, having never done it myself. the only available suggestions I can think of, are to get a ton of reference pics, find a way to implement your modelling techniques into the project, and get to work!

good luck.

Model some landscape to put it on. The Great Wall took advantage of natural ridges to be a more formidable obstacle. Get yourself some stone wall textures, I doubt you’ll want to model it block by block. Use bumpmapping for surfaces that don’t show edges, and model the edges that do show. Build from the ground up.

i have got a landscape and a seamless stone wall texture. can anybody link me to a bump mapping tutorial? well i dont really want to model the whole winding wall and having to extrude every thing on the top (not sure what they’re called, those castle wall things…)

any help?

Bump Maps for Beginners

Hi,

Model a chinese brick and SHIFT-D :wink:

Or model a small section of the wall (with the crenellations - the bits on top), use the array modifier to extend it, apply the array modifier and bend it using a curve modifier. Take a look at the bridge example here if this doesn’t make sense.

i was more wondering about the modelling of the wall without having to go through of al lthat extruding of the cubes at the top stuff, any info on that?

im ok with the bumpmapping tho i use UVmap its better for me…

well i tried making one mesh and using dupliverts but i couldn’t get it to turn and snake around the ground and when i turned on “rot” for dupliverts it messed the whole thing up…any help?

Hm. Array modifier?

lots and lots of clay, or you could make it out of mashed potatoes?

I’d say this could be done easily using the modifier upgrade in the next version in which case you can model a section and apply an array then a curve modifier. About the bricks you have a lengthy section of wall and you’ll have a huge amount of polygons. Get a wall texture and map it to the wall with a bump.

hm yea i didnt see rawpidgeon’s post when i posted, yeah thats exactly what i needed :slight_smile: thanks i never knew about that sorta stuff :slight_smile: