How create shadows from plants - leaves (alpha mask)

Any help is really appreciated!!!

I have a plane with a texture of leaf and have applied transparency so that only the leaf is visible.
However I am not able to see shadows on the plane below the leaf.
Is this possible to do in GSLS in game engine?
I need it for a game.

see attached file

Attachments

leaf.zip (129 KB)

The BGE doesn’t support alpha shadows (shadows cast by transparent textures) right now, though I would suggest you use Clip Alpha instead of otherwise. In Clip Alpha mode, the plane will cast a shadow, regardless of the texture. If you have enough leaves, though, the effect might look somewhat similar to each leaf casting ‘correct’ shadows.

Ok… I have enabled the Clip alpha but still the shadow falling on the plane
is a solid square… how do I get the silhouette of the leaf?

Could you send me the modified file after you apply the changes?

thank you in advance for your valuable help!!!

Attachments

leaf2.zip (131 KB)

Like I said in my previous post, the BGE doesn’t support shadows cast by alpha textures (in other words, you won’t get a shadow in the shape of a leaf). There was an old patch for it, but it wasn’t made official.

Ok I understand!! So for now there is no workaround???

Thank you for your answer!!!

If you don’t have a lot of leaves it might be worth going ahead and making the geometry into roughly the shape of the leaf, so you’ll get somewhat correct shadows; if you have a whole lot of leaves that would probably add too many polygons to be worth it.

thank you for your answer

As a side note, you might want to try looking into tree-building programs like TreeD or Arbaro, if you haven’t already, if you need help building high-quality trees.