How Cycles "decide" when to use the min and max or in betweens [does it even does inbetweens ?]?

fghdh

Here is an example:
Say you have multiple glasses and you are looking through them, or even like put yourself in the middle of two mirror facing each other [YES YES I know the difference between reflection ray and refraction ray bounce just in case someone who wears a fedora comes along who likes to point out the obvious thinking that he is smart.]

But now we are just talking rays, not talking WHICH ray.

So…I notice that in cases like these, setting the bounces max to a ridiculous high number [just for shit and giggles] doesn’t work, you will still have black area at some point BUT BUT BUT, IF you set the min to the same value as max, then the problem gets solved.

So…the question is:

We set the min and max “expecting” that cycles to be smart enough to use the minimum ray bounces but when it “realize” that it needs more, it will auto increase the ray to the max ray bounce allowed, at least that is what I thought, or else what would be the point of specifying a min and max right ?

But it seems to be that cycles doesn’t seems to “know” and you literally have to increase the min ray to “push” cycles along, which render the trust we have in cycles ability to decide the bounce range specified useless.

So…

How does Cycles decide when to use min and max and all the in betweens ?

whatever the answer is it might not be so satisfying. For that reason the ‘min and max’ value is completely replaced with just 1 value in 2.8.

Really ?! Well that just gets rid of this senseless issue that has been hanging around for far too long.