How dedicated is your computer for 3D modeling?

Just wondering about it. it would also give me a little idea of how much of users like 3D modelling.

Me? I use mine just for 3D execpt for a little IM and internet surfing. that all.

(notes to mod: i wasn’t sure exactly where to put this thread so i kinda guessed. if you need to move it then go ahead. i’ll look at where it is moved to and remember to post any similar thread there)

I guess this thread would go under off-topic chat!

My PC is definitely not for 3D modelling. I crased my main workstation and am working on my backup… and this aint worth it! My main station was a 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, GeForce FX5200 128MB, which is decent for 3Dmodelling at my level!

Hm mine isnt that good either:

AMD Athlon 64
1 Gig RAM
80 Gig Harddisk
and Geforce 5900

What i wished for:

Dual–Core Processor
4 Gigs of Ram
And a Geforce 7900 GTX SLI

AND THE BIGGEST WISH:

Fully implemented Realtime Shading of OpenGL in Blenders Viewport

256mb RAM
400mhz pentium2

You dont even need to know the rest of the stats to figure out my comp sucks

I use my computer mainly for the Internet, CG and works for the University. It’s not really THAT good anymore (3,4 GHz AMD 64, 1 GB RAM) but it’s enough for a smooth workflow and alright rendertimes, even at somewhat larger resolutions (if I don’t get too high with the quality…). So, I definitely won’t complain, looking at Hafanui’s specs :wink:

Yes, I’m here so everyone else can feel good about themselves :smiley:

Mine’s getting antiquated::-?

AMD Athlon 3000 +
1 GB RAM
128 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 OC
80 GB HD

I’m waiting to earn enough for a new one…Those new iMacs are looking pretty nice.8)

[quote=“hafunui”]256mb RAM
400mhz pentium2

You dont even need to know the rest of the stats to figure out my comp sucks[/quote
Ditto

Purpose built 100% 3D workstation.

7300 Boxx Technologies
2x 244 Opteron (1.8GHz)
4GB ram (dedicated 2GB per CPU)
Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 128MB DDR
Twin 19" monitors
Win XP Pro x64 bit

Sonix.

:damn
you must be a very lucky man:

Nearly what i am dreaming of. :<

I rather enjoy the challenge of making my 450Mhz 256Mb PII creations work well. You really need to learn some shortcuts and tricks in your work and I think that is good.

Over the past 7 or so years I have used my computer for many purposes. Some very specific and some quite general. It is nice to run a Linux system as I can set it up to suit the purpose at hand.

Believe it or not I first found out about Blender around version 1.6 or 1.7 when the C-Key started. I was looking for a CAD or drawing program for electronics on Linux. At the time I used my comp specifically for electronics. The times change but my little workhorse computer keeps rolling with them ( thanks to linux and source code builds):slight_smile:

honeycomb

3.2gHz
1 Gig Ram
ATI 9800
320 GB (4 Hd’s)

Built mainly for 3D, video editing, and programming.
(Of course a little bit of gaming never hurts! :smiley: )

For my part,

i began to put aside every € that is possible to afford a good workstation.

I’m planning to expense something around 5000 - 7000 € at the ending of the next year to give my productivity a boost. Actually i realize the the performance limits of my Desk are disillusioning me.

Everything that is bigger is impossible, cause i’m a very impatient person.

Right now i have 4 Computers

• My main workstation described above
  • a Fujitsu-Siemens Primergy TX 150 Server
  • a P4 2,4 Ghz office PC
  • a Samsung X10 Notebook (Centrino 1,3 Ghz, 768 Ram)

These will form a little Render-Farm in my cellar, when i bought my new machine. Hopefully this thing will turn into a performance-monster to my purposes and give me the chance to do more professional work.

I’ve started a few months ago with i think version 2.36 but right now i’m totally addicted to blender.

Keep blendering guys.

Bye Gjevon

I can’t belive you all complain about having such nice PC’s!

You guys are spoiled.

Mine’s almost completely for CG. I built mine for modeling in particular, but it’s the main computer so I do other stuff on it too.

Phenom II 3.2GHz (quad core)
3GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce 8800GS

…plus three other lesser computers for the Luxrender farm :wink:

yeah, I do a good amount of 3d work on mine, but I also do a lot of gaming and surfing the internet.

Quad Core Phenom II 3.0GHz
2 GB RAM (would be 4, need to send back the bad stick)
XFX GTS 250 (512mb)
20" monitor (1680x1050)

Saw this poll and thought i’d participate - some serious gear here and not sure if teh 450 Pii’s are serios out their comps or not -

Interesting if you are - saw Hafunui’s gallery - nice stuff for a PII -
myself - the one comp i have working - is a
Dell XPS 1.73 ghz -
2 gig of ram
13.3 screen -
no graphics card
no audio card - just the integrated stuff - which aint much
running winXP2

does it work with anything… barely but i can make a UV sphere with hair -
but only once… then it coughs - sits down takes a rest or goes to sleep on me
I told it to quit smoking when i’m trying to do 3D
it won’t listen… oh well.

I do a lot of stuff like facebook, msn, movie making. Mostly movie making. But yea blender takes up a whole chunk of it.

1024MB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9800GT video card.

I need more RAM

I built my computer 100% for 3D, but I got a nice graphics card for gaming as well.

Intel 2.4 GHz overclocked to 3.4 GHz - quad core
4gb ram
Nvidia 8800 gt with 512 mb ram

Idles at around 30 degrees C

Depends what you mean by ‘dedicated’… When it was time to upgrade my work PC, I made a strong case for a powerful processor - so they got me a bog standard Dell OptiPlex 960 - but with the best processor at the time (Core2Quad 3.0 GHz). The rest is the standard Dell hardware - ATI Radeon HD3470 graphics, 4GB RAM.

What further ‘dedication’ could I want that would make Blender run better, other than an even faster i7 processor?