How do I become a professional cg artist

Hi there

Im using blender 3d for a while now and I like so much that I want to become a professional 3d artist. However I don’t know what to study. I live in the Netherlands and I want to study there.

Does any1 know how I do it? If you are already a professional you could tell me how you did it.

Thank you.

I think the only way is to practice your a** off and produce images and reels that do some serious b***-kicking. You simply need to be better than the other ones.

I guess studying will make some things easier but it woon’t give you the job.

Practice, practice, practice. If you get VERY good at it before finishing high school, you probably won’t need to got to college to study 3D because you’ll already know it well.

You’ll just have to get a website, make a portfolio, and hope someone from a 3D production company sees it. Or send lots of job applications :stuck_out_tongue:

Depending on your level of education you can go to a graphische school and study a multi media or to the HKU (hoge school voor de kunsten Utrecht) which have a digital media study in Hilversum.

search for @ndy on this board or in the blender community. have a look at the things he’s doing. beat him… then you are close to be a pro.

outside blender it’s a little bit harder.

go to:

http://www.raph.com

for getting an impression what level of quality is expected using other software than blender.

Yes, AN][ARES, @ndy is one of the best (if not the best) examples of professional “blenderism”* at a very young age.

Blendfreak, visit @ndy’ site here:

http://www.artificial3d.com

Not for the faint-hearted n00bs :stuck_out_tongue:

*maybe this world will catch on to the rest of the community

i have about the same problem. i also live in holland and i have to make a choise this year about what im going to study. im thinking about going to rotterdam to study Communication and multimedia design at the willem de kooning school.

im doing the last year of havo.

btw. Blendfreak, are you going to the studie beurs on the 14th of october? (or someone else?)

A professional is good at what they do and they know how to produce their work on time for a client and are able to serve the needs of a client in every way that is required of them. A professional can deliver their goods for service, market their goods and services and get paid for their efforts. A professional is reliable and quick to provide solutions with their services.

All professionals do not operate in the same manner exactly and this accounts for different levels of quality and client satisfaction. But a professional can learn what niche that their style of service has and knows how to work that niche to the bone. Then they can let those bones get back some more meat and work it down again. This involves knowing your goal of operation, your market, your skills of service or product offerings, your business and your limitations. These are your strengths.

You start from where you are, look at what you want to be, figure out what it takes to get there and you take steps to reach your goal. Leave yourself a big area for flexibility so that you don’t get disappointed if some things go bad but still keeps you on track.

And do it like you mean it. Hey, someone mentioned @ndy.

Who would even doubt that @ndy is not serious about this 3d thing? Not me.

Blend on! And work your blends to the bone if that’s what it takes to get your stuff out there and put to use.

JA-forreal is spot-on.

But there are also some other considerations that are equally important.

• Take any job:

Even if you think you can’t do it…you’ll never learn without experience.
The experience will come WITH WORK. So even if the job looks too
big, take it - you can always hire extra hands if you’re in too deep
and if you failed then it’s a learning experience…you’ll be better
prepared next time. Another thing I’ve found out as a 3d-illustrator
earning my daily bread is that I’m always surprised how well things
turn out when under pressure. With pressure I mean responsibillity.
People tend to do MUCH better when they HAVE TO do it.

• Don’t sell yourself too cheap:

Selling yourself too cheap is the single BIGGEST mistake you
can make (besides not “delivering”). No-one will take you
seriously if you sell yourself for a smile and a cookie. No-one
buys into that old song “I’m doing it to build up a portfolio”.
The reason for this is that an experienced employer knows that
the chance that YOU “deliver” is much bigger if there’s money
riding on the train…because then you HAVE to deliver.
If you are only doing it to get experience…then you might
bail-out and say…well…I’m not getting paid for this anyway,
that’s not professional …so even if you’re not a pro. yet…
it’s not only knowing your 3d…it’s beeing able to stick to your
assignment and deliver.

• Exercises are good, but doesn’t display your true potential:

I do exercises in 3d/2d all the time (just look at my crappy glass
in the finished work section on this forum) It does NOT display
what you are capable of. What you do in your JOB - WILL be your
portfolio and will be your proven track-record. What your friend
thinks of your work means little as he doesn’t pay your salary
(harsh-but-true)…nor does it mean a thing that your mother
think’s you’re the most talented artist in the world. The customers
will decide in the end.

• Everything doesn’t need to be photo-realistic:

Photorealism are fun, and especially good for pracising materials.
But they are far from needed in every situation. What defines
“photoreal” is up to you and your audience. You don’t need
photorealism to sell unless it’s an requirement.
I’ve created advertising campaing for the products that
the company I work for sells that are on display all over our
country. It has been approved by my company superiors,
collegues, ad-companies and retailers all over the country.
(unfortunately I’m not allowed to show these things Abroad
because of licensing restrictions…darn…I really want to but
such are an NDA…another thing you’ll run into as a working pro.)
What I mean to tell you is that you can create stuff that
looks cool to the general public…sell products with it…
and make your employers happy at a standard thats good
enough for the targeted market.

• Build a network:

It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.
Your clients or co-workers/employers etc. need to be confident that
you can deliver exactly what they want. Sometimes this means a
good understanding of the people you’re working with. There’s no
place for “ego-tripping” in a team - so even if you’re doing a lot of
skilled work - it’s important to aknowledge the other people’s work
even if it isn’t as artistic as yours.

• Tell them that you exist:

How will your potential employers know HOW to get you
if they don’t even know that you exist. You need to make
a portfolio…even if you haven’t worked as a pro before you
need to show your stuff. Only show your best stuff…instead
of a lot of…well…stuff. It’s better to display 2 - GREAT pictures
rather than 20 …look “ma” …I can model…

One way to get the attention of the employers are to
pay for subscriptions to big website recruitment agencies,
(that’s how I eventually got hired)…and belive me…
the employer couldn’t care less if what program I used to
get the jobs done…they only want results (of course).

Another way is trough your friends. Don’t be afraid to
ASK around. Don’t ask for a job directly…but try to
see “creatively” and advertise yourself into their company
and give them ideas on how you could be of use!
You’d be amazed how much use there really are for
an creative illustrator in any jobsituation.

I hope these tips will help you or ANYone out there
increase your chances of getting hired.

Take care,
/JoOngle

They do allow blender works on that site as I saw one looking on the way down. But with those programs bad images or those with flaws are practically not an option if you want to please people, over 90% are photoreal

i am currently attending full sail and majoring in computer animation. computer science is another thing that is usefull for the programming aspect but for the artistic side look for an art school with a computer program.

I read in a CGtalk forum that Company’s looking to hire CG people mostly look for traditional CG art and animation skills

sorry i cant find the link at the moment

Someone said something about “if your really good by the time you finish high school, then you shouldn’t really need to go to a college for 3D”

Hmm… I’m a sophomore, and i think i’m pretty good for my age. However, wouldn’t it be the best choice to go to college if I eventually want to work at pixar or a similar company?

Any advice from proffesionals here who started in high school? :wink:

Duhhh… put pie in your nose :B :B :B

You don’t have to be super good to become a pro. Look at me, im a living example. :stuck_out_tongue:

someone stole my scrn name dont pay attention to that :<

Change your password or something or report it.

i fixed it. i found out who did it and they apologized. no need for me to report who

You don’t have to be better than @ndy to be a pro. I don’t know if @ndy is a pro or not, but he is definately industry ready. Studying might be helpfull, in that it will broaden your horizons as far as apps are concerned. Maya if you want to get into film, max if you want to get into games. However lightwave and xsi are really starting to take off. I think it would be hard to get a job quoting blender(that said, if I got a job I’d probably still use it anyway, and just export models to the other apps. And it has been done before). I say that because right now its a small market for blenderers, so the more apps you know the better chance you have. People don’t like to train up newbs because it costs them money.

My next bit of advice is to decide what you want to do, and then work you fargin ass off just to produce a showreel taylored to what you want to do. Keep it shortish, 1-2 minutes. Grab there attention and hold it; and hopefully blow them away. Only show of your best work. They don’t want to see how crap you can be. Just let them think your as good as your best.

If you want to be a pro, go for it, work hard for it, never give up, and it will be yours. Thats what I’ve decided to do, and I’m glad I’ve started the journy. I study 3dsmax for games and film, and I love it. I may not be job ready yet, but I will be, and I am armed with the good advice from my tutors, and industry contacts that have gone through the school before. I’d say it was definately worth going to school for me; but only because I won’t give up. Hope thats helpfull.

Thank you for all your replies. I got to something to the following persons

Friday13: Thank you, Ill make a portofolio as fast if I have some good work. I think I need to texture some of my old models so they look better.

Whatever: Thank you very much, Ill search it up

.:[email protected]:. : I read your topic of you boss searching team mates and Ill e-mail him and let him see what I can do.

Blenergetic : I think im going to get some education after high school

kramer3d: plz give me the link if you find it

JoOngle: thank you very much, Ill try to do what you said as much as possible

JA-forreal: thank you

mifune: Maybe ill want to study there, if you give me the link of the website of the school I can see what it is exactly. Do you have a msnadres so I could talk about.