How do I consistently copy/paste armature poses between actions?

I have a really simple case: I just want to copy a frame of armature animation from one action to another, but it seems to fail 90% of the time. I select all the bones, select the key frame, copy, switch to my other action, paste, and most of the time, only some parts copy instead of the whole pose.

Here’s an example:

If I select one of the bones that failed to copy and copy/paste just that one, it works:

Why doesn’t it work if they’re all selected?

The most consistent way I’ve been able to copy keyframes is by copy/pasting in the graph editor, but even that doesn’t work 100% of the time.

Is this some obscure design feature? A bug? It seems super unintuitive. Somebody help me understand!

Use copy paste pose library in between your actions. make a dedicated pose library.
copy _past_Pose

Thanks for the detailed video and introducing me to the Pose Library feature. Didn’t realized that existed!

Does seem like a lot of extra steps when you just want to quickly copy/paste a pose, though. What is the intended functionality of copy/pasting keyframes if they don’t copy/paste the whole keyframe?

Are you sure you didn’t forget some hidden bones behind you?

Nah, if you look at the second video, you can see that if I explicitly select a foot IK bone by itself and copy/paste the keyframe, it works, but if I have it selected with other bones, it doesn’t.

Hi, try select and copy the key frames on the timeline and paste in the time line.

That’s what I was doing. I selected the key in the timeline, changed actions, and pasted it in the other action’s timeline. It only copied some of the poses.

The Right Method is CTRL C. Copy Pose… Shift CTRL V past mirrored pose… CTL V paste pose

copy_paste_pose

Ah, that works MUCH better! Thanks! Marking this as the solution.

Still curious what the intended behavior of copying keyframes is, though, and why it doesn’t always copy/paste all of the bone positions.

it works pretty well, when you are editing in the Action. But, not coded that way in between actions.