How do I create a Mario 64-style camera?

I want to make it so a camera parented to the player can be manipulated, zoomed, reset, similar to Super Mario 64. How would one accomplish this with just python and the camera? I don’t want a convoluted process, just a simple way to do it.

wel funny that one want to do it with just camera and python and want a simple way.

Nothing is simple, well not if you don’t know what you are doing. I would use an empty set as a camera hook and vertex parented to the player, give the empty a zoom action, rotate action and the simple way of creating a camera that follow the player is done.

Now you need to figure out:

• how do you zoom
  • how do i want the player to move
  • how do i get the camera upclose
  • how do i use slow parent on the camera or hook
  • how do i reset the position
  • how do i handle objects inbetween the camera and player
  • how do i hadle the camera if it get’s in/trough an object
  • etc.

So as you see it goes from easy to advanced in like a minute. If you want it very easy just parent the camera to player and done.

I do have a 8 direction 3rd person script right here, you can figure out how i did it and add an option to reset the camera position and/or get upclose for some scenery focus.

take a look:

2 Likes

use more actuator’s camera tracking to player collider, long time ago i make this is setup camera how use in Mario64 from nintendo64, use python and one actuator and all good work, you need rotation camera because camera in fly and actuator select not right angle and need rotate camera and see direction player - use camera.applyRotation((0, 0, 1), True) in script body for rotation camera if you press key, if you dont like python - use sensors and actuators(camera actuator, motion actuator for camera) and property for displace distance targetting camera