How do I edit individual vertices?

I was watching this tutorial from Blender Newbies on mesh sculpting pretzels. In Edit mode Blender highlights the individual points that can be selected, but the author says it’s better to use Sculpt mode and use Edit mode for fine details that can’t be done via Sculpt.

I’m at a point where I need to move individual vertices, but when I go into Edit mode the selectable points don’t match up with the rectagles on the surface of the mesh the way they do in the tutorial.

Tutorial screenshot (rectangles and points match up):

My screenshot (I have no idea what’s going on here):

In case it’s not that obvious I’m making a beret. If you’re wondering why I’m using so few vertices, it’s because I need to import it into Second Life (I’m using the Primstar script).

I’m using Blender 2.49 on Ubuntu 11.04 64bit. I’m really new to this, any help is appreciated.

It looks like you have a SubSurf modifer active in your example which is probably why the points and faces aren’t matching up the way you think they should. The tutorial example looks like a high poly mesh with Set Smooth active. In the editing panel (F9), look for the modifiers tab (off to the right) and see if there is a subsurf modifier active for your model.

Yes. You are using a subsurf modifier. Apply it.

And get Blender 2.5

Awesome, that did the trick. Thanks guys.

you can also click the little button with 3 dots on the modifier, to apply cage in edit mode, and it will line up a bit better