How do i ensure my texture is seamless?

I’m pretty new to blender, been going through tutorials like mad, but one thing that’s skipped in the texturing chpt in the wikibook i’m learning from is in the case of a die, the unfolded map (T shaped for sake of convo) has only 7 edges are joined. When i paint my texture only this shape, how do i make sure that the other edges line up nicely/seamlessly? Is this a photoshop trick? Cuz i had a theory with the ‘offset’ filter, but i wanted to know how everyone else does it.

thanks for any help, very much appreciated.

I create my texture, then make my canvas 4 times the size of my texture. I then duplicate the texture 3 times and place them all together and make sure they line up good (if it works with 4, it will work with any amount). I’m sure there is an easier way, but thats how I have always done it and I am stubborn in my ways haha.

When you’re painting a UV map like the die, where two edges aren’t connected on the map, but are connected on the model, one trick people use is to start by filling the whole image with a background color, and then avoid painting near those two edges, so they both remain background color, and they match.

Of course, in the case of the die model, you’d have to avoid painting over any of the edges, leaving them all background color, or the die would look peculiar.

nfollmer’s method of tiling a texture to see whether it is seamless works in Photoshop, the Gimp and in Blender, and probably in many other paint programs as well.

The offset filter in Photoshop or Gimp can help you make a seamless tilable texture out of something that is not seamless. For techniques on painting non-tile textures there are many Photoshop tutorials that cover the subject, which are also applicable to Gimp and good for use in Blender.

There is also a tutorial out there somewhere that had to do with applying a texture with seams onto a Blender model, then unwrapping it with new seams and baking the old texture, so the seams were on connected faces and could be blended out in PS or Gimp. Very similar idea to using the offset filter to get access to the seams to paint them out. (Unfortunately I cannot find the link.)

Orinoco you may be referring to Cire’s seam removal by render baking tutorial, which appeared in Blenderart magazine #12.

Yes:yes: ! That’s it. Thanks for finding it. ChromeKaldra, when you’ve moved on from UV mapping dice, take a look at Cire’s tutorial.

Awesome, glad someone helped. :smiley: Things got in the way so i didn’t end up immersing myself in this till today. I tell you, the Blender Course by Bas Van Dijk is really really good. Everything sticks really well the first read.

Hmmm…i should have generalized my thread title, as i need help with a beginner project, so, would it be a violation of forum rules to add my next problem that doesn’t deal with textures? [but is the same project?]

If not, here it is;

> Through animation, i want my die to rotate widly but stop on a certain side facing the camera. Anyway to do this?

If so, sorry mods! :frowning: I just wanted to make use of an existing thread of mine…

It’s not so much a violation, as it is more sensible to ask an animation question in the forum where the animators hang out.

When you’re animating, you control what the die does, it isn’t random, no matter what it looks like on screen. I’d suggest for work flow, you start with the end position, with the die facing correctly, and then animate backwards to the die being tossed, since it’s orientation doesn’t matter at the beginning.

Got any pointers? :smiley: Reverse Kinematics right?

I’ll go ask in the animation section then, thanks for all the help though, it’s life saving! :slight_smile:

http://www.manucornet.net/Informatique/Gimp_Texturize.php

Makes this:
http://www.manucornet.net/Informatique/JPEG_Texturize/Strawberries_base_thumbnail.jpg

into this:

http://www.manucornet.net/Informatique/JPEG_Texturize/Strawberries_thumbnail.jpg