How do i get a job?

how do i get a job? So whatever you ask me I know how to do it, but I can’t make a portfolio because I don’t know what to do to put it there! I was wondering if you have any test-based jobs …

Well, a good portfolio is one of the best ways to start if you want to get a job. Most employees will want to know what skills you have before hiring you. A good portfolio is the only thing that can compensate the lack of a curriculum.

Saying “I know how to do everything” is not a good argument without examples to prove your statement.

Genuine employees do not do trial and error, they want to be sure that you are capable of doing the job before employing you.

There are ocasionaly test bassed job offers, but I would be carefull with trusting some of them. At times they will just want you to send them your work for free.

What to put into your portfolio:
Your best work!

If you are not up to making a portfolio I would suggest you try to sell some assets on one of the many platforms available.

thanks, but how can i make a good portfolio? So, I always wanted a portfolio, original, but copying art … is it still worth it?
and yes there are people who deceive us … man I just want a job

I think that birb gave you a good answer to that a few months ago.

A good approach is to think about companies in your hometown who might use computer graphics in some way. Ask them if they do, and then if they’re hiring or know someone who is.

Largely thanks to Blender, CG is used for all sorts of purposes, and there’s a strong and growing demand for people who are conversant in … Blender.

You can go to the volunteer section, and participate somewhere if you want.

1 Like

I like to help people, but what I meant is a stable job where I can grow professionally, as the company hiring me as a beginner, and seeing my skills evolve, I want to build a career, but as there are many things that I I can put it in the portfolio, I end up not knowing what to put! In the case of the test, it would be like giving me the direction for what to do …
and yes, I want paid work … freelance is good but I want something fixed

I like more modeling, sculpting, working with textures, and I think it would be better for me to work in game and animation film companies … and thanks for that, I really need to define better … I know how to make archviz! but, i dont’t would be happy working in companies focused on archiviz, although animation companies have a certain archiviz but it is different

“find tutors to improve”…look don’t offend me…
I do have a problem creating a portfolio, but don’t treat me like someone who doesn’t know anything!
and I’m sorry for this!

I never said you know anything, i just don’t know nothing about you ? Beginner, exprimented ? i don’t know.
BTW, i was simply giving advices to help.

Good luck.

1 Like

All most all companies have their Careers sections with jobs oppotunities. You need to fill jobs descriptions and you can submit your showreel for evalutation. Some schools like Gnomon, Vancouver Film School, have their suceed students showreel displayed. You can look for them and mimic, not to copy but just to show your work as they show to recruiters. Also in artstation.com you will find some professionals from those AAA companies and most of them still have their first showreel in Vimeo or YouTube.

Jobs: https://www.artstation.com/jobs
Jobs: https://cgmeetup.com/jobs
Jobs: https://zerply.com/jobs

1 Like

You might have mastered exactly what is needed to start creating stuff, but never experimented with your own concepts or ideas or content. So it means that you will have to think of exactly one concept that gives you lots of energy to try things. Obviously if you sit on the computer 8+ hours creating something it means that you are not doing this for fun. You have a high interest.

Or perhaps you hate content once and for all, and you simply want to focus only on technique. Such as for example, you are 100% technical artist. Though this means that you will have to display how things work (since you won’t be ranked for your artistic skills) and avoid putting your own ideas into the mix.

1 Like

If what it is you are trying to do seems very hard, like confusing or “where do I start?”,there is a strong chance you are shooting too high.

If you have never worked at a steady 3D job, doing that then, is a long way above where you are. I don’t mean in skill level. Actually I could not know that because I have not seen your work.

But the thing to do is pick a small simple thing. One thing that you can do towards that goal.

You need a portfolio. No way around it. And it needs to be professional work.

Try starting a Work in Progress thread here. Pick one simple subject like modeling. Look around at other professional work you like and try to do something at that level. Do something that is going to show others you can work at a pro level. Listen to feedback on your thread. Prefect it until it is pro level.

Then look around at other pro-level portfolio samples on art station or Pinterest etc. and here.

Do the same. This could take a few weeks or a month or more. Done.

Now move to the next thing.

Keep going like that. Be patient. Over time you will build a portfolio.

This is the only way I know to move forward.

2 Likes

Follow advice Birb offered a few months ago, then open a ArtStation account to put it front and center for potential appraisal by industry eyeballs…simple.

1 Like

with that attitude it will be hard to get a job. you could at least try to do a portfolio. :slight_smile: for example try to imagine what companies in your area could need and then do some example projects in that direction.

3 Likes

Mine is taking more than 3 years to be completed but still not finished.

But I am slowly perfecting stuff and finding new techniques.

1 Like

The portfolio is really essential! But I wanted something 100% created by min, but I’ve seen several portfolios in which the artists take an existing character and model it, such as: Tifa Lockhart, hulk, joker …
although it is not the artist who created the idea of ​​the character, it seems to be valid, I think I will have to do the same

1 Like

Right! This website shows how a studio pipeline works, and some projects in development. Characters are modeled after concept is done, and have some good references. You can reference some concept artists and model their characters to practice a office environment and create your showreel. Best way is to have a concept artist as a friend, or just choose one and credit properly.

Pipeline: https://caveacademy.com/wiki/pipeline/cg-animation-pipeline/cg-animation-pipeline-overview/
Concept: https://caveacademy.com/wiki/projects/eoe/eoe-assets/character-oni/oni-concept-and-moodboards/

2 Likes

Creating original concepts is a skill in itself.

This is definitely not a requirement for all jobs. And if original concepts are required usually 2d art is the medium not 3D. At least for professional work where a standard pipeline is used.

That is not to say your preferred design medium could not be sculpting. It definitely can. But design in general is a separate skill.

It can also be very personal. And personal work may or may not be what is required. In fact I would go as far as to say it rarely is. Usually you are designing within parameters given to you.

So having a skill to copy things in style and form is going to be a plus on your portfolio.

If you love to design stuff and you think your design work is marketable then so that. Otherwise don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

Sure. A portfolio always evolves and is never done. How much do you need to start looking for work is going to depend on the job requirements.