How do I load files ?

I have installed Blender on two Linux machines, and can’t open files on either one of them. I’m running Xandros 2.0 Deluxe on one, and Xandros 3.0 Deluxe on the other. I have tried to open them, and to import them, and I always get a message that says it is not a recognized file type.

The file types are .dxf, .wrl, .jpg and .png.

I have done a search on this, and apparently no one else has had a similar problem. But I have had it on two machines in a row. I did the install with Xandros Networks, which found it when set for Debian Unsupported and in Expert mode, so I thought it aught to be compaible. Everything else seems to work, just not with files.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance :expressionless:

files that aren’t native to blender are imported, not loaded directly

file -> import -> dxf
file -> import -> vrml

images can be loaded in the image window [also several other places]
hit the button on the left of a window header [you’ll probably want to split a view first], and choose to change the window type to the image type

then on the menu chose image -> open

moved to correct forum 8)

I can understand your moving it to a more appropriate place. What I cannot understand is not leaving a clue as to where that more appropriate place is.
I have done a search for it and found nothing. I have found two other places that looked like they might be more appropriate, but it isn’t there.

I’m sorry I’m not as familiar with your site and procedures as I need to be, and certainly want to post in the correct forums, but would it be too much trouble to tell me where you moved my question ?

I tried the one seggestion offered and had no success. I downloaded the Windows verson and installed that in Win2000 and got the exact same thing, so it has to be a procedureal thing that someone can correct me on in a couple of seconds flat.

Have you made sure the files are non-corrupt? Have you opened them by themselves? That being said, none of those files you mentioned are native blender files. To open them, go to file, import, then pick the file of your choice, then choose the file from the fileselect menu. This should import the file. JPGs are image files, therefore not imported (as they are not 3d files) they can be opened as an image texture (read some tutorials about this if need be). Python may also be required for some of the import plugins to work, but, it Blender gave the error message you have said, then it is not a Python error, you just tried to open the file in the wrong place… %|

Dont worry, everyone here was a n00b once too…

(1) Start Blender.
(2) From the topmost menu, select File --> Import --> DXF. (Or whatever the format is you want.)
(3) Select the file and press the button in the upper-right corner which says “Import DXF”.
(4) Different formats store their data in different sizes. You may have to scale your object up or down. Press ‘S’ to scale.

It’s not particularly unobvious. You might get friendlier responses here if you are less aggressive.

Blender is a very convenient tool, but it has a learning curve. Your best bet is to try things out. Press buttons, follow menus, read tool-tips, and check out the User Documentation at www.blender3d.org. Even if English is not your native language most things take very little fiddling with to get a basic understanding of how they work.

when you post a question, and and I move the thread, and someone answers to it, you will get a notification via e-mail…just click the link and look at the headers/title of the thread, it says “Blender General” , can it be more easy ? 8)

and welcome to elysiun, soon to be blenderartists.org

Thank you Ongnizzim and Duoas. Your replies have cleared up the procedural issue, and probably nailed the problem.

Yes, I had verified that the files were good by loading them back into Autocad. I also saved them in several versions of .dxf to eliminiate that potential problem.

I was importing by the procedure you just spelled out. Thanks. I needed it spelled out to verify that I was doing it right.

I just tried it again, and got the usual error saying it could not parse the files, but this time I got a text window that says:
Using Python version 2.3
‘import site’ failed; use -v for traceback
No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available. Some scripts may not run.
Continuing happily.

So I am using Python version 2.3 and have no Python. Where do I find this snake ? I’ll be glad to install it.

I really appreciate the help.

And I don’t want to be a problem for our hard working mdoerators. But after considering the question “can it be more easy?” I have to say yes.

I didn’t follow an email last night. I simply returned to the forum where I posted the question, a forum that invited discussion of anything related to computer graphics, and found it there, with the note that it was moved. It looked to me like the discussion was continuing elswhere without me, and I could not find it, not even with a search, and carefully scrolling down through each forum, and most carefully in Blender General, which also looked newly appropriate.

And now I am here, having followed the email link. But when I try to find this discussion in Blender General, I can’t . Right now that email link is my only way in. I’m keeping it as bread crumbs lest I lose contact.

And thanks for the warm welcome. I hope to less of a pest as I learn your site and Blender a little better. It really looks good. I just can’t seem to get a toe hold.

Oh my :open_mouth: I’ve discovered a big difference between viewing this site with Firefox from Windows and from Linux. My previous post was from Windows, where this topic didn’t show up either in its original location or here, and I had to follow the moderator’s email link to find it at all. Now I come in through Linux, and its blatently right in Blender General like he said, and also in its original location with MOVED in front of it. And when you click there you are transported to here. Could he have made it any easier? I don’t think so. Sorry Mr. Moderator :frowning: And thank you for your patience. The viewing capabilities of my Windows Firefox are not your responsibility.

Since Linux is where I want to be, Linix is how I will come in from now on. Glad I don’t need no steenking bread crumbs :expressionless:

So though I had no idea how to install Python in Windows, for once I had a better idea how to do it in Linux: let Xandros Networks find and install it for me :slight_smile:

Now Xandros Networks tells me I already have Python installed, and that it is the default version. Is there a particular version of Python that I should be using ?

And now that I’m back in Linux, I’m no longer seeing the text window griping about Python. Its now just the usual ERROR: Error parsing dxf, expected (10,<x>) at line 5314. So maybe I have Python in Linux and just not in Windows.

With different dxf files it sometimes says (20,<x>) and of course has a differnt line number. Could this indicate that things were going great until it got to that line number? Is there a particular version of dxf that workds better ? I’m using 12, 2000 and 2004.

Yes. In either case, Blender does have sufficient Python built-in to import the stuff it says it will in the menus.

It looks like your DXF file is incorrectly formatted, which is confusing Blender. How did you come by it?

Er, my brain went, you just said what version you’re using. I don’t know. DXF is one of the built-in formats it will import, but since it’s a proprietary format there are always some bugs.

Surely someone else here knows better than I…

Hi Duoas:

How I came by it was to select that file type when I saved my Autocad file. It will save as DXF for all the Autocad versions back to 10. I didn’t think DXF was propriatary. It is a text file in order to make it as un-propriatary as possible, as it is tha Drawing Xchange Forat, so it can be exchanged with all manner of platforms. If there is only one as far as Blender is concerned, then I need to find out what that one is.

In the meantime, the help you provided got me on the right track. I wasn’t sure my vrml was version 1, so I went back to generate a true version 1 using Deep Exploration. And while I was there I exported the file in all the formats that Blender said it would take.

And then my vrml worked. As did my .lwo and my .raw.

Now the question of how to load files is solved. (Yes, I know, import.) And now I have my head rattling with how to use this thing, which will have to be another topic. Now I suspect I’m going to have to spend some time researching other forum topics and see what I can find.

I mean, it latched onto one of my layers and moved it away from the rest of the drawing, and rotated it, and, well, I couldn’t even find and undo command. There certainly was no way to put it back together. Surely that isn’t what it is supposed to do.

So I do want to thank you very much for getting me pointed in the right direction. Perhaps on this long holiday weekend I’ll get it to producing.

:slight_smile: