How do I make light up effects?

So I want to make an object that has a single part of it that glows. How do I make this with Blender? I’ve tried putting light sources inside glass parts, but that doesn’t really give the effect I’m looking for. Please help!

e: also if anyone knows a good silver rgb code and reflective settings that would be helpful too.

quick answer: vertex groups and multiple materials.

Longer answer:

Go into edit mode on the object.

Here is a longer explanation of my workflow for this:

• select object and enter edit mode
  • select all vertices
  • go to the vertex tab
  • hit the + sign next to the vertex box
  • Change the name “Group” to something that makes sense like “base” or “all” or whatever floats your boat.
  • Hit “assign” --> this now becomes the vertex group for “everything” in that object
  • Hit “unselect” and watch everything deselect.
  • Hit select and leave it selected
  • Go to the materials tab
  • click on the + sign next to the materials list
  • click on “new”
  • Rename “Material” to something that makes sense
  • Click on “Assign” and the “Deselect”

All your vertices should be deselected at this point Using your favorite selection tool select the portion of the object you want to “glow.”

• go to the vertex tab.
  • select your base group in the box
  • click on “Remove” --> this unassigns the vertexes from the base group
  • click on the + sign
  • rename “Group” to something that makes sense
  • click on “assign”
  • go to the materials tab
  • click the + sign
  • click on “New”
  • This material should be an emission (you have to set it so)
  • click on “assign” and “deslect”
  • Go back to object mode
  • Render and enjoy.

Chances are you probably don’t have enough vertices to get the control you want. You can also do it with a black and white texture mixing an emission shader with whatever other shader you want.

I would say that depends on the geometry of the object.

Looks good (to saltycowdawg), it lights up in the dark but it doesn’t really look lit up. It doesn’t give off the glow you would expect it to. For example, I have an (blue) object set up how you described, and put it next to another (green) object. When I remove the lamp and render the image, the blue object shows up, but it doesn’t cast any light on the green object. Any ideas?

Glow is a post-processing effect. You’ll need to use the compositor for that.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Composting and Post Processing”

As a photo guru said to me once, “Look at the light.” Figure out what “this thing is glowing” means to you and to the shot. For instance, it might simply be a different materal, with a different color, more specularity and so on.

Often, part of what says to your eye, “this thing is glowing,” is that light is falling onto nearby objects. Just as Alfred Hitchcock famously put a light-bulb into a glass of milk, you can put lamps into, or near to, things that should be “emitting light,” to provide the shine on nearby objects. In CG, there are a few important tricks that you can use:

• Remember that, no matter where the lamp is, you can’t “see” it. Unlike a real lamp or light bulb, you only see the light that it produces when it bounces off something. So, it can be “in plain sight.”
  • You can control what the light from the lamp does, and doesn’t, “see.” For example, you can designate that a light will only “shine on” things in certain layers (the group-of-buttons …), and that it therefore will “shine right through” objects that would otherwise block the light.
  • Don’t bother trying to model “real physics” here. Pay attention, instead, to what the presence or the absence of the lamp does to the lightto the illumination of nearby objects, to changes in color and saturation (e.g. the visual cues that tell you that a window “contains glass”). Consider what are the most important cues and which ones maybe don’t really matter.
  • Get to know Blender’s node-based compositor. Sometimes, a “realistic looking scene” is, technically speaking, “anything but.” The compositor will give you absolute control over the lighting within a scene, although at a certain learning-curve price. It is “the ultimate digital darkroom,” and, as Ansel Adams once put it, “a picture is captured in the camera, but made in the darkroom.”