How do I make materials available for all new documents/scenes?

Good Morning All, I’m finding I’m using a selection of materials on a regular basis, is there a way to make certain shaders always available when I create a new document.
I guess I could create a scene with many cubes and apply a different material to each cube, then append the materials in when ever I create a new document. I’m thinking though, there must be a more efficient way of doing this?
Also I have some image texture nodes, how do I pack the image files into the nodes?
Many Thanks
A

You don’t have to make a new object for a new material. Try to make a blend file with all your materials on one object (matdummy) and link this to you default file or even use this as you default file?

For each material, click the little shield in the material properties panel (assign fake user). Then File > Defaults > Save Startup File.
Also, if I’m not mistaken, Blender has the Material Library VX addon built in. If not, it’s a free addon that you can use to store your materials.
For image textures: File > External Data > Pack All Into .blend, then save your scene as the default as I’ve shown above.

Good point one object would work, Cheers

I did hear about VX before, but never gave it a go, I’ll try it out, Cheers