How do I make objectcast reflections, but the object itself is invisible?

Im in Eevee on Blender 2.8…and im trying to cast a highlight/reflection on a product shot.

Im not getting what i want with just an HDRI and lamps…so what I usually do is create a white plane and move it around the scene untill it is reflected on my object.

But the problem is…the plane it self stays visible in the scene off course

is there anyway to make this invisble, but keep te reflection?

and additionally… is there a better way to create custom reflections on objects?

1 Like

Hi,

For Cycles you can just turn off ‘camera’ & ‘Shadow’ ray visibility on the object.
Property panel > Object > Visibility > Ray visibility.

For Eevee it seems this doesn’t seem to be possible atm…

cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for your answer…

Not even with render layers maybe? Or as a final solution…i can try rendering it out twice and masking it

afaik tell no. If it was a masking issue, you could use the holdout functionality, that works for both Eevee and Cyces. Both Cycles & Eevee have some things to wish for.

But maybe someone can correct me wrong on this one, as I haven’t done more complicated setups in Eevee so far.

Why can’t you use an rectangle area light? Lights always are invisible and that would still be like moving a white plane around. you can actually group several together to form a shape ( like the old window pane lights) … The only other way would be to go with Cryptomate and run your reflection pass and use the compositor for your image.

the main reason I dont want to use a light… is because of the light spill. I always get spill on surrounding areas, such at the floor and stuff. Especially when I need a hard reflection (so the light is bright)…

Yes, there is a way. I am sorry I could not answer before, since I saw this question right now, and I know the issue is really old, but I think answering that can be interesting to other people having the same problem and for you too, if you still did not find an answer to the problem.

The solution is quite simple. You just need to add a mix shader node to your material mixing your current material with a white transparent BSDF shader (your material connected in the top slot and the transparent in the second one). Then you add a light path node and connect “is camera ray” to the “Fac” slot… That’s all.

Oh, in your material settings you need also to select “alpha blend”, “alpha hashed” or “alpha clip” in blend mode for that to work.

Greetings.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer @Calandro… it’s a problem that a lot of people have so this solution is definatly helpfull. Thanks again

You are welcome. :slight_smile: