how do i make something hidden then pop out?

well in my little animation im working on i have some items that are all ready have IPO’s on them and there in the places were they need to be but not the time i want them there. See what i want to do is have these items hidden then when i need them they just pop out and does its job. And i don’t know how to do that. Any help would be awsome. Thanks :smiley:

Change its layer…It is an IPO channel, like RotX, but is further down the list. The Y value is the Layer. So, in your render, you have some layers hidden. To make an object pop out, just change its layer from one of the hidden/non-rendered layers to a visible one.

well thats not really what i asked. can’t i just make something transfer layers during an animation useing ipo’s?

You can animate the layer they are on, from a visible layer to an unseen layer. That will make them pop into view in one frame. If thats to fast you can animate the material properties with material IPO’s from visible to something with with no spec, mirror or alpha, etc…( invisible) over a few frames. Thats just a few ways to make some thing appear or disappear their are many more.

how do u hide/ find it? casue im doing these in frames, like say frame 1 nothing is there, frame 2 a box appears out of know where.

say frame 1 nothing is there, frame 2 a box appears out of know where.

Say only layer 1 is visible in your scene. In the first frame, the box is on layer 2 and thus invisible. In the second frame, the box is on layer 1. Here is how. I’m really just repeating what PapaSmurf and shr1k said:

Use Shift-click to select the first two boxes of the layer grid in the menu bar. This is so you can see what’s going on while you set up the animation across layers.

Make sure you are on frame 2. Select the box, Mkey->1 (or click the first box in the popup menu). Ikey->Layer. You have just set a keyframe for the box’s Layer attribute.

Step back to frame 1. Select the box, Mkey->2 (or click the second box in the popup menu). Ikey->Layer. You’ve set another keyframe for the box’s Layer attribute.

Shift-click the second box in the layer grid to turn it off (ie only layer 1 is visible - I wish these boxes had little numbers inside them).

Now if you flip between frames 1 and 2, the box will appear/disappear as it jumps between layers.

Put the object in the layer you want it in for the frame your at and use the I- key in the 3-D window and select Layer. If that doesn’t answer your question we need more info.

oooh… lol thanks =p shr1k answered my question or just said it in a simple way. =) still you guys were a great help. Thanks

whew! thanks guys. “how many ways can you say…”