How do i move this hand down?

Hello,

I have another noob question, see the picture below:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/641/firstrender6wo.jpg

I want to move its hands down as shown as picture below:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6872/normalgingy12807ox.jpg

If i m not wrong it can be achieved easily with proportional editing tool? Can anyone please guide me a little here?..

Thanks!

You could rig him and then pose him. There’s a tutorial for how to rig at the manual:http://mediawiki.blender.org/

For greater flexibility, you’ll want to rig the model (give it an armature etc.) - I’d suggest this, as once you’ve moved the arm you probably won’t be able to return it to its original state using proportional editing. Once you’ve given it an armature you can pose it how you like. (Are you/ have you been following the gingerbread man tutorial at blender.org?)
However, in general, the proportional editing tool works like this:
Press ‘o’ while in Edit Mode to turn it on.
You will see a box appear in the menu at the bottom of the 3D window. The different options change how the mesh will deform.
Press ‘g’, ‘s’ or’r’ to do whatever you’re trying to do - you’ll find that not only the selected vertices move with your mouse. Press Alt+ or Alt- to change the range of influence of the PE tool.

BeBraw, you beat me to it!

Hmmm, blender.org and related sites (such as mediawiki.blender.org) seem to be down at the mo. Give it a try later.

Thanks for all your kind replies!..

In fact this gingerbreadman tutorial was my first tutorial I did 2 weeks ago, however I find that the version in the tutorial dont look as good as the one in Shrek, so I am trying to create one on my own…

Let me check out how to do proper rigging, and hopefully its not too difficult for me…

I actually tried the proportional editing method, but its not that easy to get the shape i want, wonder if I am doing it wrong… hehe…

Thanks again!

I rigged my Gus with envelopes. It’s much faster and easier than the way described in the tutorial (at the moment):

How to rig Gus using envelopes:

1. Set up the bones using Add/Armature. A reference picture: http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gusenve4en.jpg
    (Note: You could add joints to hands or neck bone, whatever. Envelopes make rigging easier.)
  2. Select Gus and then the armature and hit ctrl-p. Select Armature and Don’t Create Groups.
  3. Select armature and go to Pose mode.
  4. Choose a body part and rotate it using r key. If the bodypart doesn’t deform correctly, add Dist value in Editing\Armature Bones. (Note: you can see the area in which the bone affects by hitting Envelope in Editing\Armature\Display Options.)
  5. Move the bones and experiment till you are happy with the rig.

BeBraw, how does moving the armature move the body if you never assign vertices to the bones?

I don’t understand what you mean when you say envelopes, it sounds like you just made an armature, and didn’t really attach it.

Please excuse my ignorance, could you explain?

Saxofoner91,
Envelopes are part of the new armature system. Although you can still assign vertices in the previous manner (and indeed this is more accurate), envelopes provide a quick and easy way to do so.
Documentation about them is provided at blender.org, under the release notes of 2.40. (Unfortunately, I think the site’s down at the moment)

BeBraw, how does moving the armature move the body if you never assign vertices to the bones?

I don’t understand what you mean when you say envelopes, it sounds like you just made an armature, and didn’t really attach it.

Please excuse my ignorance, could you explain?

afaik that’s the idea of envelopes. The Dist value is the key. It controls the area which the armature deforms. Using this technique may not be as accurate as using vertex groups but this is certainly faster way to rig.

You can demonstrate this easily by making a cube, extruding it about an unit. Then you have make a bone inside it, parent and go to pose mode. Hit r to rotate the bone. As you tweak the Dist value, you’ll see what I mean.

I am reading up the mediawiki documents on armatures and stuffs, (yes, i printed it out last week)… And I saw that the method of CTRL-P is no longer recommended, instead now its using modifier stack - “Add Modifier” -> “Armature”…

However I cant find much tips on this new method…

Hey, thanks. That modifier thing is actually pretty logical. The difference is that you need to write the name of the armature object and you can define whether or not you use vertex groups or envelopes.
It seems that this allows you to put many armatures assigned to single mesh easily. You could have your arms/legs/… armatures separate and thus they might be easier to control.

Say hi to my improved GUS!

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/3449/2ndrender1sz.jpg

I know this looks like a joke to many here… but from this project a noob like me learnt:

1. Rigging using envelope and armature modifier
  2. Texture normal-mapping
  3. of course, modelling skills

Thanks everyone!

i looks just fine!

that is the key to blender. figuring things out by your own hard work takes time, but it is well worth it.

you will go far in blender that way

“Not the Gumdrop buttons!”

I do like that!
I, Like you, am new at this, so ill proble be doing that after i master my simple man, wearing a girly hat!

Thats a really good job!