How do I save pictures with good quality, without having photoshop?

When I make graphics on GIMP and save them, then upload to photobucket, they are mildly fuzzy and distorted. When I save them on paint, the same thing happens. Yet when I use a computer that has photoshop on it to save the graphics in photoshop and upload them on photobucket they look fantastic. What can I do, other than buying photoshop, to make my images have the same quality?

Hello
you’re a bit confused I guess…
Anyway, it’s a format/compression problem, I think…
Can you give us more details, please?
Bye

Only Photoshop has the magic sharp image saving ability. :slight_smile:

There are literally hundreds of image compression types. Image manipulation applications have many options for saving an image. You sound like you have a lot to learn. When you go to save as there is a drop down for formats you can save as. Image resolution also plays a fundamental roll in image quality. Make sure your not comparing something ridiculous like a 128x128 resolution image to a 1050x1680. Maybe GIMP defaults to a lower res when starting a new document?

im a bit of a noob myself but i think you myby need to go into the render options window and click hd then try rendering with jpeg or png only(close as posible to websafe) then render > current frame then render> save rendered image as this should give you a good output if you need to color correct in gimp make shure you open the file from a path (not just copy and paste) then when you go to save it “save as” png or jpg

As mentioned, the format in which you save the image makes all the difference in quality. Jpeg is a lossy format, meaning you’ll see visual artifacts. Png is a lossless format, so there is no degrade in quality.

I believe one problem with the GIMP is that the default quality for a JPG save is 85%, and every time you save it it compresses again. Very easy to get down to almost zero quality that way. (This was definitely the case with older versions, don’t know if it still is).

When you first save a JPG use Save As rather than Save, and make sure you slide the quality slider up to 100%. After that resaving should use the same value.

This is untrue. When saving as a JPEG in Gimp, it does default to 85% quality. However, saving it won’t modify the file that’s actually open in Gimp. That will always stay lossless and layered. Every time you save, Gimp compresses the current lossless image into whatever format, and saves it to a file. However, it won’t REPLACE the open image, so as long as you have the image open in Gimp, you won’t see any degradation in quality.
Long story short:
Every time you save in gimp, it compresses the -lossless- image, not the already compressed jpeg or what have you. Thus, saving repeatedly won’t degrade your image.

Yes I always save in .Png

If that is the case, there should be absolutely no difference between an image created in Gimp and an image created in Photoshop. Do you have an example image(s)?

not exactly its depends on a few variables these(of what i can remember) being

Algorithms, all compression is based on these the file both the quality and the type can have an impact
algorithms of filters and layer blends too

color tables if your useing gifs or similar you can specify a color table more = good less + bad

degradation, duplicates of duplicates… if you duplicated a file enough times thered be nothing left

in short its a very complex issue and if there were a holy grail of image formats we would all be using it

Instead of png, when you don’t have need for alpha/transparency, save your images as jpg(with gimp), and look in advanced settings-at the “DCT Settings” instead of “integer” set to “floating point” and set the “subsampling” to “best quality”(the 1x1 setting) then you can easily move the quality slider to the left(lower), not too much though, and you will have a very good quality image with good compression :slight_smile: . Hope this helps…

But I was referring to the .png format. Which is lossless. Therefore, wouldn’t it only make sense that saving something in a lossless format would produce the same image regardless of which program saved it, assuming they are using the same channels (ie RGBA)? The only that that should differ is file size, which depends on how much the program compresses the file; however, the resulting image should be lossless, regardless of file size.

its only “lossless” to the pont the programmes algorithms are at the and of the day

let me paraphrase its like if you made an audio track in two different programmes and used a reverb filter on both but one used a reverb algorithm that left a slight fuss on the track regardless of wether or not you saved it in a lossless format there would be a slight fuss on one of the tracks

look long story short a format is only as lossless as the programme that created it and your best bet is to play around but keep a benchmark and find what works best for you, meny a designer has experienced burnout getting tyed up in format wars and the only way to avoid this is blind playing to see what you come up with

PEACE

Aaa, guys? “lossless” is not exactly lossless-when you save on hard disks. Lossless means that it has absolutely No quality loss, and that would mean theoretically that you require an infinite amount of hard disk space to store it-it’s valid for all media containers- from music to videos. Still lossless media store options do exist-for example for music-a no quality loss melody is stored on a magnetic band… Hope this helped… :slight_smile: